Using Outlook for work and personal email account...

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Sep 18, 2007.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Question...

Say you have a company laptop and a company email addy that goes to Outlook. If you register for a personal email account and have that go to the Outlook account, can the company still access the email without physically having the laptop?

My husband has the laptop and I registered a personal email account for him to use for personal use since I think it's stupid for him to use his work one and take the chance that someone sends him an email that he shouldn't be getting at work (ie. racy jokes, whatever). I can't even send .jpg attachments to him since they don't go through his company firewall.

Anyway, if he has them go to Outlook, does it totally negate the whole purpose of this? Or am I being naive in my entire thought process?

The company obviously has their own server. His laptop is wireless and he can access the server via our wireless at home also...if any of that matters.

PS...the whole reason for the question is because I'm pretty sure he is too lazy to log onto an online email acct to access emails.:D

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This depends on the protocol of the mailserver you are connecting to.

If it is POP, then all messages are downloaded to the computer, and while the company can't intercept it while the laptop is offsite, they do have the right to access the hard drive (since technically, it is their property), where they could find the account's .PST file.

If it is IMAP, then messages are left on the server, and the only way to gain access would be to supply the password. (although most users configure Outlook to remember this for them)

3. LauraR

The mailserver is verizon and is POP. So, what you're saying is that they would have to physically have the computer to access the hard drive or the .pst file, right? I'm assuming company email goes through their server and they can access it without actually having the laptop. Is that right? This is actually not a huge deal...it's not like he gets much, if anything, that is worrisome. It's just a matter of do I really want to bother if the personal email is going to go through the same process as if I had left it alone.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This sounds about right.

While he is onsite, however, the personal email will be routed through the company's internet, and may be monitored, or blocked, depending on the ports it is using, and the company's setup.

5. LauraR

k...thanks Mada.

Thinking I'll leave it up to him. If he wants to use it, he log onto it online.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds