Using Vista -- Error installing CD-Rom Game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thrnppl, Mar 3, 2012.

1. thrnppl

thrnppl Private E-2

My laptop is Vista. I purchased a game on CD-Rom, Harpoon II Delux (1995) and receive the following error....

E:\INSTALL.EXE
    This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose "Close" to terminate the application.

What can I do to fix this error??? I do know alot about computers so I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!!

:confused

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

In short, you won't sorry. The game was developed for DOS with the intent of it running in Windows 95-98 and had issues with Windows. I would not even bother.

From http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=363

"Harpoon II was the MS/DOS version of the simulator. It was first released in 1994 on six 3.5 inch floppy disks and contained the battleset Global Conflicts One. The Global Conflicts Two and Three, Cold War, Westpac, and Regional Conflicts One battlesets were later released as add-ons. The next version, Harpoon II Deluxe Multimedia Edition, an improved version released on CD-ROM, contained the three battlesets Global Conflicts One, Two and Three as well as many new video and audio clips. It also included a printed manual and a scenario editor which allowed you to build your own scenarios. The final version was Harpoon II Admiral’s Edition. This had all six previous battlesets plus a new one, Regional Conflicts Two. However, being a MS/DOS application, Harpoon II suffered from severe stability problems on Windows 95, 98, ME platforms and would not run at all in pure 32-bit operating systems like NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Because of these shortcomings, Harpoon II was ported to Windows and renamed Harpoon3."

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I can't say that this will work for you but I was able to play starflight 1 on an XP computer. I have not used it on a Vista Computer but it is supposed to be compatible with Vista. I was even able to get the sounds to work. There is a little bit of a learning curve. Essentially this is a virtual DOS environment that the game runs in. Good Luck.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds