Using Windows Vista Home Premuim..

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phil Heard, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Phil Heard

Phil Heard Private E-2

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop, running Vista Home Premium OS..Every time I try to log on, or re-boot, it gets to the HP logo screen, and stalls there. Also my DVD drive is not reading properly, so I know I am at a disadvantage trying to boot from a disk. The screen I am describing, does have options at the bottom. <esc> boot, <setup> F10, <system Recovery>F11..The ONLY two that even tries to do anything is esc.....It says booting...but stalls, and F10 (recover) button. It does the same, says restoring, but stalls also. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thank You,

Phil Heard

2. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

if the DVD drive is not working properly, and the OS is not booting then you can try to boot from USB or connect a external DVD drive.

3. Phil Heard

Phil Heard Private E-2

How do I go about booting from the Usb? What do I need?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You'll need to enter the BIOS and check that in the boot options menu the option is there for 1st boot device of USB, not all motherboards have this option.

Then to boot to a USB device it has to be made bootable info here and have either a Windows OS or rescue software.

5. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it is completely stalling and still showing the HP logo then it may be a hardware problem that is keeping it from completing the POST/Bios routine that runs before Windows starts.

Because you know your DVD drive is not working it may be worth opening the case and unplugging the DVD drive to see if a that is the piece of hardware that is holding up POST.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds