Using WinXP Registry Editor, Off-line

Discussion in 'Software' started by doc Holliday, May 27, 2011.

1. doc Holliday

doc Holliday Private First Class

OK, I'm using a bootable disc, running Mini Windows off the CD and attempting to use its Registry Editor. I seem to not be able to import the hive as described below, from my non-operating c: drive. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

(BTW I'm using mini windows because my linux skills are non-existent)

"I booted the system with BartPE and opened regedit.
    I imported the hive "C:\windows\system32\config\software"
    I located the following key: Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    I renamed the string value "AppInit_DLLs" to "AppInit_DLLs.old"
    I created a new string value called "AppInit_DLLs" with no entries.
    I then unloaded the registry hive and rebooted.

This technique does not require BartPE, any offline registry editing tool should work. Also remember to backup the original C:\windows\system32\config directory before making changes."

POST #6 at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112734

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. doc Holliday

My goal here is fixing my lsass.exe login error, which I think is my last hurdle in recovering my pc and XP SP3 os intact (I was finally able to save my data to a usb drive, so I do have other options....I just want to recover this intact after spending so much time on it...)

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. doc Holliday

OK - using RegScanner, I find 2 AppInit_DLLs - one with a data length of 48, and one with a data length of 1...

...trying to determine which to copy and modify per the directions in post #1

I guess I'll try the "1" first...

Ooops - reading comprehension - he renamed to .old and created a new file....NOT copy...

4. doc Holliday

OK - using the RegEdit embedded in RegScanner - the .old and the new AppInits have the same strings of Byte: 00000000 00 00

So....I'm not sure what if anything this exercise accomplishes, as the new = the old...

Anybody out there??

Bumbling along, I'll try rebooting with this new config, and if no change - try modifying the other AppInit dll and rebooting again

5. doc Holliday

Just FYI

End of THIS story: this effort described in this thread was not productive for me and I ultimately solved my problems by another means.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds