usp10.dll not found - reinstall (in vista)

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmhjcr, Jan 28, 2009.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello,
    I am not sure if this is the right section to post this or not (if not I apologize).

Anyway, I was running super antispyware this morning and when it was done it had found some sort of adware and after following the steps it needed to reboot which I did. Only problem is that the pc will not start now. I need to start the pc in I think it was called startup repair mode. When I try this I get a blue screen with the following information

STOP: C0000135 {unable to locate component}
    This application has failed to start because usp10.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I cannot even get out of that screen without hitting the power off button and then turning on the pc again and if I try to start the pc in regular mode it does not work.

I have not idea what has happened. It was working just fine this morning and the only things that have been downloaded since the last time I ran superantispyware about 36 hours ago were the update for the software, a windows update and updates for the antivirus software. But there was not problem until after running the superantispyware this morning and doing as suggested for some sort of adware it found (sorry can't tell you because I copied and pasted that to a document which is on the vista pc).

I did find a download for usp10.dll but not sure how to re-install it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Maybe superantispyware removed something it should not have. Have you tried booting into last know good configuration?

3. frapper

frapper Private First Class

Or using System Restore if you're running XP. Go back to before you used SuperAntiSpyware.

4. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I'm running windows Vista Home Premium and I was not able to boot into anything at all except the page asking if I wanted to do a regular startup which only brought me back to the same page or a startup repair.

Whenever, I selected the startup repair is when I got the page about the missing .dll.

I did find out that with vista the startup repair requires you to install the disc that came with the pc and then restart the pc again and follow the instructions for that. (found some info on that and followed the steps given at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

The pc is working again - only thing is that I did notice that after running the startup repair that the available hard drive space was reduced by about 4 GB so I ran system defrag. (well tried to)

I tried to do the defrag yesterday afternoon and after 4 1/2 hours it was still running and it has never taken that long (and I had just done a defrag 2 days earlier). I eventually ended up shutting it down, restarting the pc and tried again with the same results so I did a system restore to the day before this happened. Haven't tried running the defrag yet to see what happens.

Any ideas as to why the defrag would now take so long now? It has never taken more than an hour to run and that was just the first time I ever ran it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds