Utility to copy full path and name of selected folder/file

Discussion in 'Software' started by fwfan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. fwfan

fwfan Private E-2

hi :)

Is there a good utility which will let me do a right click on any file or folder and copy the full path i.e.

a) if i do right click on a folder then the utility copies the full path of the folder in the clipboard or something

b) if i do right click on a file then the utility copies the full path and name of the selected file in the clipboard or something

thnx

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Yep, Q-Dir. It's a bit of overkill but it will do the job. Q-Dir is an alternative to Windows Explorer. Pretty handy little program actually.

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

I do a lot of this using an Outlook 2003 option.
    In Outlook, open a new email, then click on Insert>Hyperlink.
    In the panel that opens, select Current Folder or Recent Files (if you've opened the file recently, it will be there).
    Find what you want and click OK.
    This puts a hyperlink with the full path in the email, which you can then select and copy in the normal way.
    You can do the same thing in Word (and presumably other Office apps).
    Also in Word, with the file you want open, you can click on Insert>Autotext>Header/Footer>Filename and Path
    That puts the filename and path into the Word document, and you can copy that as well.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

5. fwfan

fwfan Private E-2

Thnx everyone for your replies. I was looking for something simple and looks like the suggestion by foogoo is exactly what i lookin for.

actualy i use google before i post request here. the problem is that google gives so many options. So i post to get advise from the experts here (which ALWAYS) helps :)

6. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Here's my $.02 .... though using a utility is nice if you're doing this a lot but if you want to do this without a utility, do this:

1. Go the file's folder
    2. Change your Folder Options to enable "Display the full path in the address bar" (obviously, you'll need to have the address bar visible).
    3. Click in the address bar and copy the whole path and paste into Notepad, for example, and insert a backslash and at the end of the path;
    4. Go through the motions of renaming the file - but don't - and copy the full file name; escape out of renaming and paste in the location where you pasted the path.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds