Utility to find corrupted USER files not system files wanted

Discussion in 'Software' started by DBenz, May 3, 2014.

1. DBenz

DBenz Private First Class

Hi,
    Now I would have bet my lifes savings on the fact that loads of utilities exist to find and isolate corrupt user created files on DVD's (files written such, not a video) and CD's and usb sticks and hard drives.

I google the www and find after much searching just one, CheckFolder and its a dead duck, website dead.

have I entered the TwilightZone ? (good 60's 70's series ! )

come on, surely there is a utility/prog to seek out dodgy USER CREATED files ?

I am not at all interested in searching system files, and every search result, every prog, every google hit, is all about system fixes !

DBenz

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly I cannot think of any utility that can search or scan for corrupt 3rd party files, other than using Windows chkdsk or sfc scannow but these are not what you want.

The scan app if it was available would have to cover a huge range of apps, and that is likely never to happen as the criteria could be endless..

3. DBenz

Hi,

I am most surprised at this, that such is not possible in computing but you know what you are talking about.

It seems though that someone had created such, and havent bothered to keep it going as an available prog.

I have discovered that two raster image files (tif) on a dvd-r are corrupted, cataloging progs get jammed on them, I open them into Photoshop and Pshop freezes, then the pc freezes.

Surely its possible to get a prog that knows what a jpg or tif should be like, BreezeBrowser puts a red X sometimes over an image, this time it locks up on that folder with the two tifs in.

There are progs that will recover files from corrupted drives.

A tif or jpg are international standard files and must agree to certain specified conditions laid down, if it doesnt then its corrupted, might it be possible to analyse a file against such ?

DBenz

4. DavidGP

Hi

I am too but to fix 3rd party software would need those developers to create a fix for the said software, this is not sadly an all in one fix as the issues with various softwares as you mention Photoshop as one would be a nightmare.

Now you have narrowed down your issue to images on a DVD, can you copy the DVD files to your HDD and see if you get the same issue as it could be the DVD is scratched/damaged.

For data recovery then there are a few apps HERE to try some free and not so free

5. DBenz

Hi,
    I mentioned Photoshop as it simply identified the corrupt tif file by freezing up on it.
    Photoshop simply creates an international standard file like tif or jpg, it hasnt a problem as such. The tif that is corrupted came from elsewhere, and I feel that as these are cross platform universal file types not specific to a certain prog, there must be a way of analysing them to see if they conform to the international standard.

To identify a mine by stamping about in a field seems wrong in this day and age.
    Msoft keep developing OS's yet surely an international file type checker would be useful, its decades since win3.1 and we are left with stamping about in a minefield.

Again why dont Msoft develop a file cataloging software to keep track of all the removeable media they allow usage of now.

That would also be useful.

I found that BreezeBrowser will put a red X on a corrupt image, but its touch and go as to whether or not it freezes up whilst struggling with a folder in which there is a corrupt imga e, or so, mine had several it turned out.

DBenz

6. DavidGP

Hi

Interesting post and I agree with you but the crux is while Microsoft develop an OS they are constrained by file type standards that are one in there control, like JPEG for instance, if they did dictate file standards many would be up in arms and state anti-trust behaviour!

Apple have file standards that are not universal as does Android.

As for file checker I agree would be great but too many files and type to check, just think of all the unique file types from all the hardware and software makers around, it just would not be cost effective, unless a standard small file set was universally agreed on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds