Utorrent locking up all the time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dunnomuch, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dunnomuch

dunnomuch Private E-2

Hi all... I am new to this website and I am hoping I can get a few simple answers to a few of my questions and problems... here goes...
    I totally wiped out my computer and reinstalled a new OS, XP Pro, ok.. after I lost everything (and I mean everything!:cry) I had to reinstall a bunch of stuff. Ok, so I am trying to get some stuff from torrents. Well, I have downloaded utorrent and it just won't work. It keeps locking up! But, limewire works.. I just don't like it! The only kind of protection I have on my puter right now is System Mechanic 7 Pro. Is it blocking the utorrent program somehow? And if it is, how do I unblock it next to uninstalling the SM program??!!! I kinda like it and it seems to be keeping my puter running decent. I do have a firewall, but, it is just the one from XP and it was on before I wiped my puter clean and I had no problems with torrents. Any advice would be mucho appreciated!!!!
    :drool

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

What do you mean by lock up? Does it freeze up? Does it respond after a long while? What's the error message?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What version of uTorrent? v1.80 (including the beta) has been 'banned' by many trackers because it is problematic (all the bugs haven't been worked out). Try using an older release; version 1.77 is very popular and considered stable and is perhaps the best of the newer releases. Personally, I use 1.61 (an older build of 1.61) for reasons I won't go into here. You can download old versions of uTorrent (and just about anything else) from File Hippo:
    uTorrent 1.77 http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/3729/
    Other older versions are listed in the green column on the right....

Good luck!

(if SM7 has a firewall, turn it off and see if that helps)

EDIT- I just went to the uTorrent forums and did a search for anything mentioning System Mechanic; there was 2 pages of results! You should probably visit the site, register (it's free), login, and once you're logged in, copy-n-paste this link into the address bar of your browser
    http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?search_id=1385931817
    The forums for uTorrent can be found here: http://forum.utorrent.com/index.php Just click click 'Register'....

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I almost forgot.....

....Welcome to Major Geeks! :wave :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds