V8 Coolmaster Controller Loose and Sound Card Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rz.anony, Jan 10, 2010.

1. rz.anony

rz.anony Private E-2

The controller and metal mounting clip that comes with the cooler are extremely loose when put together. Maybe I am missing something and misread the directions (26 times). Does someone know what I am talking about? Is there a washer or something that I am missing?

Also you guys think ill be able squeeze a sound card in with two hd 5850s or the stock MB plugs are enough

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Gee, I dunno. You haven't given much, if any, information about your system.:confused

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Wow wow wow

Slow down.

you need to help us to help you!

Please can you give more infomation on your system, including your case, as the v8 is rather big and so are the 5850's and they may not fit!

Burrell

4. rz.anony

rz.anony Private E-2

Sorry guys, i was in a rush before and just posted really fast without much consideration.

So... i am working with: (everything is stock, just put it together earlier this week)

Antec 1200 case
    P6T Deluxe V2 MB x58 chipset
    i7 920 2.66GHz

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB (3x2GB)
    2 Sapphire HD5850s (not in xfire)
    Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
    WD CB 1TB 7200RPM HDD

SeaSonic S12D 850 Silver 850W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC PSU

Now the Fan Controller switch is extremely loose when i did the install. Maybe i am missing something?

Also, this is majority of my setup and was wondering if my PSU (which is only SLI ready) would be able to run two HD5850s in Xfire?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as far fan layout in a system. I am thinking about putting another fan right in of my video cards on the removable drive bay.

Sorry again and thanks for all the input guys, i am kinda' new to this and this is my first build so i am super anxious and excited at the same time! Thanks!:-D

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Just trying to clearly understand your situation.

Is the PCI Slot Bracket "Fan Controller" loose? If so it fits into any vacant PCI slot and should slide down the back of the mobo and also allows for a screw to lock it into place (as with most PCI devices).

If the HS mounting brackets are loose you will have to assess which "back plate" and retention bracket assembly you have chosen and probably change it to the right one:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5279
    Video installations here as well.
    http://verdisreviews.com/reviews/cooler-master-v8-cpu-cooler-review/2/

As can be seen the V8 is marketed across a wide array of CPUs and comes with at least 3 different backplates and corresponding retention plates for installation. Try and install the wrong backplate with the wrong retention plate and I am sure you will experience issues. There are also the Plastic washers and Rubber gin pads to dampen vibration and create a "snug fit":

LGA1366 mounting guide:

http://www.coolermaster.com/download.php?action=ViewDownload&id=320

6. rz.anony

rz.anony Private E-2

neither its the actual fan controller dial that goes through the pci slot bracket that is extremely loose. I did a pretty clean install on the MB, kind of a pain, but its on there snug. Thanks again and sorry if this is a newb a*s question.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Lol I understand now and that is a rather difficult one to explain. So the actual Fan switch/dial is loose, does it have like a back or front plate "nut" that holds it in place and needs a turn?

8. rz.anony

rz.anony Private E-2

There is a little nut on the faceplate of the controller/ switch but it does not fit/reach the pci bracket. I assumed i was either missing a part that would compensate for gap in between the face plate nut and pci bracket. I put a decent amount of pressure too, i just want to risk braking it and dealing with a return.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds