VB6 Best way to specify location of text files

Discussion in 'Software' started by peter34, Feb 17, 2005.

1. peter34

peter34 Private E-2

I'm producing a simple VB program that gets input from a text box and saves it as a txt file. An option exists to retrieve any .txt file based on the file name. (There is a logic to allocating file names that allows easy retrieval of a particular file). At initial installation time can I offer the option to select where the .txt files will be placed in a way similar to allowing the option of where the .exe is installed? Alternatively I was considering asking the question of the user the first time the program is run and storing the result in the registry. Is there a better way?

Many thanks

Peter

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

write the options to an xml file. This way they are easily modifiable and you don't have to clutter the registry.

3. peter34

peter34 Private E-2

Thanks for that.

Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds