Verbatim External Hard Drive - Not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dewidner, Sep 9, 2009.

1. dewidner

dewidner Private E-2

Hi there,

I have a Verbatim 300GB External Hard Drive that I use for storing films, pics, music etc. I have had it for nearly 6 months with no trouble at all. Last night it was working fine but today I tried to plug it in through the USB and my laptop does not seem to recognize it.

When I plug it in I get the sound effect that USB device has been hooked up but it does not show up under "my computer". The device lights up however and seems to be running normally.

I plugged another small USB storage device into the same port and it works fine so no trouble with that particular USB port. I also tried to connect the external hard drive using a different USB cable but still no luck.

I have re-started my computer both with the device connected and without several times and still doesnt recognize it. It does not show up under device manager either. I havn't had a chance to try to plug it into another computer yet but will try that asap. I have a feeling however that the external hard drive itself is ok and its something else but not sure what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Im not a computer expert and im using a laptop thats actually in Czech language which I speak but not so well in computer terminology. I use this thing everyday and have quite a few important files on there so getting a little desperate at this point. I hope someone out there can help!

2. RingleWorm

RingleWorm Private E-2

I was wondering if you had found a solution. The same thing happened to me with the same hard drive yesterday and i've a ton of stuff on there i need.
    thanks

3. whovein

whovein Private E-2

It's been a while since I had this problem but my 500GB Verbatim Drive has a power reset button on the back. Just shut it down and reset and I think it will come back to life!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds