Verbatim Portable Hard Drive won't display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DwightSale, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DwightSale

DwightSale Private E-2

I recently purchaed 2 Verbatim Portable Hadr Drives for PCs. When connected the baloon says it was installed and works properly. Problem is it doesn't show up in "My Computer" so it is unusable. Tried this on three other PC's and with both drives using USB hubs and not using hubs. Same problem. I am using several other portable hard dirives with no problems.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What Windows version you using?

Is it listed in Disk Managment section of Computer Management? (can find this in Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Computer Management)

If using XP did you ever use TweakUI for XP to manage what drive letters show up in My Computer (its was a tweak a few used to hide many drive letters that are not in use)?

Have you unplugged the other portable HDDs and any USB pens etc and just had one of the Verbatims plugged in?

Are these brand new portable HDDs? also what model version.

Questions above are for all three PCs as many users do setup the PCs the same with software and tweaks etc.

3. DwightSale

DwightSale Private E-2

Thanks
    Using XP with the latest stuff in everything
    Under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Device Manager>Disk drives>Ext Hard Disk USB Device> shows
    Device type: Disk drives
    Manufacturer: (Statndard disk drive)

And then says “The device is working properly:\”

Under Removable Storage it is not shown.

It is the only external disk plugged in.

They are branch new Vebatim model #FW/USB320
    Dwight Sale

4. DwightSale

DwightSale Private E-2

Thanks

Using XP in all computers with latest stuff.

Under Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Device Manager>Disk drives>Ext Hard Disk USB Device> shows
    Device type: Disk drives
    Manufacturer: (Statndard disk drive)

And then says “The device is working properly:\”

Under Removable Storage it is not shown.

The proper drive letter shows up for my other external drives.

It is the only USB external disk drive and in one machine the only USB being used.

The drives in question are branch new Verbatim model #FW/USB320

Dwight Sale

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds