Verizon DSL + Motorola Router = No connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LilKd417, Aug 11, 2006.

1. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

So here's the problem:
    I had been using my Motorola Wireless Router with my Charter Cable connection for a year. It worked great. I switched to Verizon DSL and it worked for a week. Now, besides all the issues I've had with the DSL, I'm having problems with the router. I've contacted both Verizon and Motorola, and they both say it's a problem with the other company. I can get a perfect connection if I just have my Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop connected directly to the Westell 6100 Modem (Verizon) by way of ethernet cable. If I try to connect either by way of ethernet cable or wirelessly through the router, I get full signal, but I can't open a webpage for the life of me. I have already bridged the modem according to Verizon's instructions. What should I do, now? What is the problem here? This is driving me crazy!:mad:

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

From the machine that is connected to the router with a wire.....do START | RUN | CMD. In the command window type IPCONFIG /ALL and port the results.

Make sure your router is connected to the modem.

3. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Ok here's the results I got when I plugged it in through the router.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name: Kristen
    Primary DNS Suffix:
    Node Type: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address: 00-0B-DB-9A-54-DC
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.10.2
    Subnet Mask: 225.225.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.10.1
    DNS Servers: 192.168.10.1

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK...that looks good.

Do a START | RUN | CMD

Type NSLOOKUP www.complete-cs.com. What do you get?

6. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Here's what I got (with the router hooked up).

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>nslookup www.complete-cs.com
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Can't find server name for address 68.238.96.12: Timed out
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Can't find server name for address 68.238.112.12: Timed out
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 68.238.96.12

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** UnKnown can't find www.complete-cs.com: No response from server

And this is what I got when I didn't have the router plugged in (just the modem).

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>NSLOOKUP www.complete-cs.com
    Server: nsdall01.verizon.net
    Address: 68.238.96.12

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.complete-cs.com
    Address: 64.38.7.186

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Authentication, ID and Password, did you take care of it?

:D

8. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I tried a few different IDs and Passwords, but none of them worked. I also can't access the http://192.168.1.1 site that Verizon tells me to go to in order to change the Modem passwords etc. I don't know what else to try in the ID/PW spots.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK......

Make sure the ethernet cable (straight through) from the modem is connected to the WAN port of the router.
    Then make sure the ethernet connection from the PC is connected to any of
    the other ports.

Power off Modem, router and PC.

Then power on in this order...
    Power on modem..wait 30 seconds.
    Power on router..wait 30 seconds
    Power on PC.

When recycling the equipment this order should be followed.

Now ping 68.238.96.12 and 64.38.7.186. What are the results.

10. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Somehow 192.168.1.1 seems to be changed (looking at ipconfig data), it's 192.168.10.1 now

11. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

That one doesn't work either, for some reason...

12. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Alright, here's what I got...

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>ping 68.238.96.12

Pinging 68.238.96.12 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 68.238.96.12:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>ping 64.38.7.186

Pinging 64.38.7.186 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 64.38.7.186:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

13. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

I do not get it, how you expect to Log On when you do not know the ID name and the password?

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Okay, Everyone missed the first part of the posting. The other person had Charter Cable Hi-Speed Internet, which means that they most likely had MAC cloning enabled on the Router, and now they have Verizon Hi-Speed, which is a different beast then Cable Hi-Speed.

The first thing is, go into the router setup and check to make sure that it is set for PPPoE, if the modem that you have is set up for "Bridged" mode. If not, check to see if you modem is authenticating you through Verizon's network. What this means, is that the ADSL modem you have from Verizon can either authenticate to their network with your login UserID and Password that you set up on Verizon's network (should be on the paperwork, or can be the same as you use for checking your email from Verizon's Webmail service.

If the Modem is "Bridged" as this other person has done, then in the Router's set up page, make sure that it is set to Authenticate by PPPoE on the "Basic Setup" page under Network connection type. Nothing more then this. It is not a problem with XP, or the router, it is just set up of the networking equipment that was most likely not done when switching network types.

15. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Well, I was hoping for a quick and easy fix, but according to Verizon, my modem is in Bridge mode. I went to the router page and it was already set in PPPoE and I put in my log in name and password from Verizon (or what it could be to the best of my knowledge), and it still wouldn't work. I've emailed Verizon to make sure I've got the right ID/PW, so hopefully they'll help. Besides that, I'm still stuck w/o the use of my router which is fine for this week, but next week I'll need it for when my roommate moves in. What now?

16. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

This FAQ http://www2.dslreports.com/faq/13600 should help you on how to set up the Westell 6100. Hope it works. BTW, the Westell uses 192.168.1.1, if the router uses the same IP, you need to change it to something else (192.168.15.1 will work).

17. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Ok I followed all the steps and even cloned the MAC address, but it still doesn't work. Everything seems fine when the router is attached, but I can't open a webpage at all. Any other ideas?

18. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

It appears that your router does not know the existance of any network that can get to the DNS server. You will never get a web page to display because you are not even getting to the Internet. Why don't you call Verizon customer support instead of emailing?

19. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I could, but I'm just so tired of talking to them and running through the same steps of unplugging everything and plugging it back in. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the problem you discovered?

20. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Do we still have the condition that if your system is plugged directly into the modem that you can run ok? If not, we need to address that basic functionality.

21. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Yes, as long as I'm only plugged in through the modem, I get a perfect connection. But when I include the router, even wirelessly, I get no webpage access.

22. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Call Verizon (much fastre than email) it takes few minutes and they would set you up with a New ID and PW.

23. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK...

Now do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the machine

24. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Without router plugged in

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kristen
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-9A-54-DC
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.96.209.193
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.96.209.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.96.209.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.238.96.12
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 14, 2006 12:31:24 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 14, 2006 2:31:24 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristen Dory>

With router plugged in

Windows IP Configuration

roller
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.141.25
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

25. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK....

Notice a couple of things. While you were plugged into the modem directly it gave you an IP address of 71.96.209.193. This is the address that you want it to give your router when you plug it into the modem. Sometimes, when you plug in the router, the modem will not give you an IP address because it remembers the MAC address of the machine that was once there.

Now with your router powered off and your system powered off. Run an ethernet connection from you modem to the WAN port of the router. Then plug your system into port 1 of the router. Power up the router..wait 40 seconds and power up the system. Do an IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results.

26. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I see what you're saying. It still has the same old usual IPaddress that it's been giving me every time. Why isn't it getting the one from the modem? This is ridiculous!

Windows IP Configuration

roller
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 14, 2006 10:47:57 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:47:57 PM

27. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

No....the pc seems to have the correct address. To tie everything together, the router is the one that needs the 71.96.209.193 address. So, I'll need you to access the router from your computer. This was what we were trying to do a while back. The router is the link that we are not sure is configured or working correctly. Beings the router worked before....its probably not configured correctly. I am not familiar with your specific router but they all provide the same basic functionality.

We need to get into the router to configure it. The IPCONFIG /ALL told us that the default gateway (router) IP address was 192.168.10.1. Go to START | RUN type HTTP://192.168.10.1. Hopefully, you'll get a login screen.

28. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Yea, I can get to the login screen and the entire website for the router, no problem. It's just that I've fiddled with the settings a lot now, including having reset to factory settings and starting over. It is set on DSL PPPoE and I have typed in my login name and password. I have even cloned the MAC address that I got from the modem's website. I haven't done anything about IP Addresses. There is a spot on the front page where I set it to DSL and did all the PPP login information that includes the IP Address, Subnet, and Default Gateway stuff that the IPConfig/all shows us, and it is blank. Do I need to be typing something in there? I guess I can call Motorola and tell them what you say the problem is, but they didn't think it was a problem with their product last time I called. So if you don't know what to do, please let me know what to tell them so they'll help me.

29. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK.....

You shouldn't need the clone MAC address so turn that off. We want the router to request an IP address from the modem and we should expect to get the 71.96.209.193 address. Is there a place where you can view the IP address that the router has? Is there a page that will allow to to release and renew the address? We need to find some sort of status page.

If you want to call Motorola....tell them that you are having problems acquiring an IP address from your DSL modem.

30. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Ok, I turned off the cloned MAC Address thing. I cannot find a single place on the webpage to release or renew an IPaddress, but I've found several places that has the old one entered and changeable. I don't see where I can set it to request an IPaddress. I could try typing in the one that we got (the 71.96... etc) in one of the places that has the old 192.168... etc address. I don't know...

31. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The IP addresses are dynamic and will change....so typing one in will not help. What model Motorola router is it? I'll look up the documentation. Hang in there, we'll get to the bottom of this.

32. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Motorola WR850GP.

Thank you :)

33. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK....looks like a pretty comprehensive router.

We should reset the router to factory defaults, only because we don't know the state after all the changes that have been made. Log on to the router and go to the BASIC tab. Click on RESTORE FACTORY CONFIGURATION.

When done log back into the router and turn off the firewall temporarily on the BASIC tab FIREWALL=DISABLED.

Now power off the modem and the router. Power on the modem...wait 35 seconds and then power on the router.

Now log into the router and go to the WAN tab. You should see something in the IP address field. Hopefully it will be our 71.96.209.193 address. On the bottom of the WAN tab are the buttons for RELEASE and RENEW but lets not use them yet. PuchClicking the RELEASE button will tell the DHCP server to RELEASE the IP address and pressing the RENEW button will tell the DHCP server to give us an IP address.

34. redskull4l

redskull4l Private E-2

I understand exactly what your going through. Let me summarize my whole week of trouble and still continuing...

First router: Netgear, found out it wasnt compatible with verizon

Second Router: D-link WBR-1310. Was working fine for the first 24 hours then it continued to reboot itself. Annoying... found out it was doing that for a lot of D-link products

Third Router: Switched to Linksys WRT54GS V.5. Detects EVERYTHING except i cant get online. Was on the phone w/ verizon for an hour today AND linksys for an hour. I did everything everybody is putting up here such as Cloning Mac, power cycle, rebooting, updating firmware, A LOT of /release and /renew, etc etc.

Final conclusion, will be exchanginn router AGAIN to different linksys as verizon people did mention Linksys was the most compatible one... one of the model has got to work. I suggest the same for you too.

Dont bother talking to tech as it'll only waste your time. I'll tell you one thing though, IF the router works it'll work as soon as you connect the cords (from my experience with Cox+Netgear & D-link, Charter+3 different routers, and D-link+Verizon Dsl Westell 6100)

35. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

At this point, I still refuse to spend another $100 on a router when this one is perfectly good. I'd cancel my Verizon before I did that. As much as I hated Charter, at least it worked... We'll see if we can get it working. I still have hope, haha.

36. redskull4l

redskull4l Private E-2

Its good that at least you have the option of other internet providers. As for me, I dont :(

I'm in Covina, not far from you i believe. Its an old condo so all the wires are too crazy for cable internet people to handle. Therefore, forcing me to get Verizon and stay with verizon.

Good luck to you and i'll probably keep my eye out on this post to learn something :) and hope that some computer wise person will give a solution rather than tech support who just reads stuff off their comp most of the times.

37. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

Ok, I did everything you said as well as I could, and the damn thing came up with the same old WRONG IPaddress. I have yet to find a RELEASE or RENEW button on the site, so I couldn't even try that option. What next?

38. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The release and renew button is on the bottom of the WAN tab.

39. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Can you see all of the tabs accross the top of the page?

40. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Here is what the WAN section looks like. At the bottom of the page are the RELEASE and RENEW buttons.

Attached Files:

41. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

The page that I get doesn't look like that. It's similar, but it doesn't have all of those tabs. Should I be going somewhere else maybe? What's the webaddress?
    And, by the way, I'm sorry I didn't accept your IM message today. I was restarting my computer when you IMed me. Try again later, though.

42. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry, but I'm flying blind here. The only information I have been able to find on the WR850GP is the user's manual that I got the image from. Did you get a CD with the device? Usually, there is a user manual on the CD. Could you email it to me? Can you capture what you see on the WAN tab and post it?

?????? :confused:

No problem about the IM. I rarely use that method of communication...but I wanted to know if you were working on the problem at that moment.

43. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I don't have a CD with the router. I may have at one time, but the only CDs I have now are the ones for the wireless cards that I got with the router. I checked the laptop wireless card CD and it only has the user guide to go with that. I don't have another guide either. I also don't have a seperate tab dedicated to WAN like your page showed you. I'm not sure how they got that picture, but I'd sure like to get to that site if you find out what it is. Otherwise, I have no clue.

44. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry but you keep referring to a web site. There is no site involved when accessing the router. Am I misunderstanding something?

I'm afraid I'm at a dead end. I believe your problem is in the router...probably a configuration issue and not a hardware malfunction. I can't tell you how to configure it because I don't know the particular router. The only user manual I have been able to find for the WR850GP does not match what you are seeing.

I am at a loss..... :(

I will try to find some additional information on the WR850GP.

Can you capture the pages you are seeing and post them?????? That would be a help....or email them to me?

45. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I mean the pages I get when I type http://192.168.10.1 into the address bar. That is where I have to go to set everything up for my router. I assume that's where the page you got is supposed to have come from, but it doesn't look exactly like the one I get. I have to be gone all day today, but I'll try to capture a page of what I see (although I don't know how) as soon as I can.

46. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

When you get the page in your browser hold down the ALT key and press PRNT SCRN. The image will be copied to the clipboard. Open a new Word document and PASTE. The image will appear in the Word document. You can save it and email it to me. Or,better still attach it to your forum reply.

47. LilKd417

LilKd417 Private E-2

I guess I have to email them to you because they're too big to post on this site. It won't let me do it. What's your email address? Or how do you want me to get them to you?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  48. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

49. technoscout

technoscout Private E-2

Been through something simular recenetly. The guys on the help line are not able to help but this is what I found. I have msn premium at our house with verizon. We had problems with streaming videos kicking us off via the router. The router was replaced with another linksys. If I look on any program other than the premium for the default page 192.168.1.1 it comes up incomplete. However I need to add the http; to the search bar in the msn premium otherwise it does the engine search instead. which is right. Why when the verizon and the explorerer access are not coming up with the whole page I don't know. It may of had to do with the original router install. If I recall correctly it ask me what my defalut browser was. It was premium, therefore I think the only one granted access now the routers secrity page is that program. At startup the program uses the wrong program to access the internet with wrong info to get on line. The guys at dell and linksys couldn't explain why either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds