Very Brief/Quick "Uninstall Question" ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Oct 23, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Is it in any way better to Uninstall a program from (with, or using) its own Uninstaller, in the Start>All Programs Menu list, or, better to go to CP>Programs & Features>Uninstall (formerly "Add/Remove"), please?

Thanks in advance,
    glenn . . .

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Another vote for Revo. ;)

Revo usually uses the program's own un-installer, if present.
    It goes further (on selection 4., and cleans out most things that may be left behind). I always use Selection 4, but your choice and your risk.

Revo doesn't always work, but most times it does.:major

Sometimes, AS A LAST RESORT, if nothing else seems to work, I simply delete the Folder, all Sub-Folders and then run CCleaner

Bazza

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The Windows built in Uninstaller, Add or Remove Programs, will always look for an uninstaller provided with the installed program.

Revo Uninstaller has several options, the first of which is to:
    It is your choice as to which procedure/setting to use.
    In EVERY case, the programs built-in uninstaller is run FIRST.

I always use the Moderate setting and it has never caused any problems.

The one case where I Do Not use Revo is for uninstalling my Graphics Driver, because I have several nVidia drivers installed
    and the Add or Remove programs dialog has the specific option to Remove Only the Selected Driver.

The Only Registry entries removed ARE the Bolded items in the list.
    The other items Above those are just to indicate the Path to the Bolded items.

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you all very much . . . Revo Unistaller sounds like the tool of choice!

I am familiar with Revo...have used ti quite a few times, didn't think of it for some reason or other (?) ... maybe as I not long ago had read some conflicting info on it, but anyway, I've never had any trouble with it, sooooo

Thanks again folks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds