Very Frustrating, Can't Run Certain Exe Files On Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by edweather, Dec 17, 2016.

1. edweather

edweather Private First Class

Dell Latitude E5500 running Vista. Laptop runs well until we try and open up exe files. ezvid.exe, and roblox.exe won't open. I've tried a few fixes, but nothing has worked so far. Would be grateful if someone would take on this case. Thanks, Ed

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ed...Questions:

1. Is that Vista SP2?
    2. Was this a sudden problem?
    3. Is it just those two types of .exe files (ezvid.exe and roblox.exe) or all .exes that won't run?
    4. Do you get an error message or does the PC freeze? If you get an error, please post that here.
    5. Have you checked in Event Viewer?

Check in Event Viewer to see if you can find out more about the crashes. Look in Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application. Look around the time you last had the failure, and the events should be there. Post anything you see. To get to Event Viewer, Start->right click on Computer and select Manage->Event Viewer.

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Roblox system requirements
    https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us...mputer-Hardware-Operating-System-Requirements
    Help
    https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=112076995

Forum
    https://forum.roblox.com/Forum/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=14

AtlBo likes this.
  5. edweather

@AtlBo, yes it's SP2, and should have mentioned it's Business Vista. Not a sudden problem, it's been that way since we bought it. We purchased it a few months ago off of ebay. Will probably get flamed for that, but it really does run well, and is good for almost everything, and it was definitely worth the $50 shipped, that we paid. We have other computers also, so this problem isn't a deal breaker, just an inconvenience, but a little frustrating, because there must be a fix, but haven't found it yet. Ok, back on track, yes, only these two exe files so far won't open...have installed other things without issue. No error message, no freezing, just nothing happens when trying to install these two programs. I just tried to open the file again, and then went to the Event Viewer-WindowLogs-Application, and nothing showed up for the time I tried opening the file. When I try opening the exe file, nothing happens.

@MaxTurner, Have tried all of ezvid's their solutions with no luck.

@plodr The computer meets all the hardware and software requirements for Roblox. I have an older computer running XP and both programs will install.

Just tried the Microsoft fix for resetting the Registry setting to the default settings,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2688326

and that didn't work either. But I did notice one thing though. When I browse to and click on KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell the default data says value not set. Shouldn't the value be "%1" %*

Also tried the Tweaking Windows Repair software that I found on the forum, no luck.

AtlBo likes this.
  6. AtlBo

edweather...Where are the files located (such as downloads) when you try to run them? Have you tried installing from another location on the PC such as Desktop? Kind of sounds like a security blacklist thing, but usually a security program will post a notification for that kind of block.

Just to be clear. Do you get the spinning circle at all when you click on one of the files?

7. edweather

Hi, thanks, the files are now located in the downloads file. Since the exe file didn't open up immediately, they end up in the downloads graveyard, and I try to open them from there. Once in a while I'll get the spinning circle for a second, but that's it. I agree, I thought since it was Vista Business, it might have been a security block of some kind, but like you say, there is no warning. I'll try loading them from a different location. Is there a work around where I could maybe load something from a disk off another computer?

8. AtlBo

Ed...just right click the file in downloads that you want to try first and select copy. Then find an empty spot on the desktop, right click, and select paste. Then give it a try. You can right click on it and select delete to get rid of the file on the desktop when you are done. The one in downloads will still be there.

Technically, you could do as you say and place the file on another PC and start it using file sharing. It would be difficult to do, and I doubt it would help.

What security applications do you have installed?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds