Very high ping and 96% packet loss???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crusherop, Feb 17, 2011.

1. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

Hi, I have recently started having troubles with my ping and when i do a speedtest (speedtest.net) im getting around 550ms and pingtest (pingtest.net) im getting 96% packet loss.

I have not changed isp or my plan i used to get no packet loss and a ping of around 40-60ms, I have checked for an updated driver for network adapter but seems like i have the current version.

Im stuck so if anyone can help me out it would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Hi! Welcome to Major Geeks.

Start with rebooting the internet. What kind of connection do you have? Turn off any modem you might have, the router and then the computers and bring them back in the same order. If you have a modem, have it turn on first and wait for it to sync, then the router, then the computer.

If you run a ping from the command line, what do you get?

Are you having issues with your internet, is that why you were testing?

Any new devices on the network? A new network printer? A new second hub? How are you connected to the router? network cable or wireless?

3. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

I have rebooted many of times i have a Modem/Router Belkin adsl2+ 4 port modem model F5D5630au4 v2

Im on ADSL2+ 24000Mbits/sec plan.

I have run a ping test from my isp and got a 100% packet loss.

The thing that made me check it was i will be browsing the internet and all of a sudden it wont load any pages.

No new device have been attached.

4. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

Oh it's connected via network cable.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'd have your ISP check your lines for a problem on their end and also if you have any filters on your home lines, change those out for new ones.

6. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

ISP has checked and they cant seem to find any problems, I have a direct filter on the wall maybe i shall replace that if there is no other suggestions.

7. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Try plugging directly from the Modem to your computer and see if the packet loss is the same. Router may be the culprit.

8. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

its a modem/router in 1, I also have a netcomm nb5 plus 4 i have tried the pingtest/speedtest also and its the same with that 1 aswell.

9. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Sounds like a problem with the modem/router unit. Does it have a factory reset button on the back? Reset hold it for 30 seconds.

10. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

I have replaced the router and its still the same, I have now been told it could be a mobo problem, My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 Motherboard if that helps.

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have a similar acting PC here that has a motherboard problem, replacing the network card or using a USB network adapter to connect made no difference - it barely reaches crawling speed on the 'net.

If you don't have a known good network card to test in it, could you lug the machine around to a friends house to test on their router?

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Tried replacing the cat5 cable? Its unlikely, but cable can go bad.

13. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Maybe not so unlikely, they don't like to be crushed or bent hard, stapled down too tight, etc. I've seen quite a few go bad or only partially transmit for a variety of reasons. That's a great, easy one to check too.

14. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

Well i did not actually think of that lol, I will give that a shot, @ satrow i suppose i could try that its a big desktop but its worth the lug :).

Thanks for you help guys i will post back with the results.

15. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My ISP told me for 6 months that they couldn't find a problem, until I bitched enough on dslreports and got the attention of their company president who made them find the problem and fix it!!

16. crusherop

crusherop Private E-2

Replaced the cat 5 cable still no different, I personally think its my ISP but i might borrow my mates laptop and hook my net up to that and see if that gets the packet loss.

17. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good idea. Do it both ways. Try your friends lappy on your network and then try your lappy on his network ( assuming he has a different ISP). Let us know what you find. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds