Very large oversized drwtsn32 log (20gb!)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kaydeth, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaydeth

Kaydeth Private E-2

Hi guys, i'm taking a look at a friend's computer and I discovered that 2/3 of her hard drive is taken up by this drwtsn32.txt file.
    full path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

This file is literally 20 gigabytes large. With some googling I found out that it's a log file for the error catching program Dr. Watson, but from what I see it's definitely abnormal for it to be so large. So my questions are:

Can I simply delete the file without repercussions?

Do you have any idea what could have caused it to grow so large?

Could this be a malware issue or an issue with the Dr. Watson process itself?

by the way this is a Dell Inspiron 6000 running windows XP home edition SP2

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Dr Watson are dump files when you crash ....you can safely delete this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp

go to your Windows Start menu, select Run. In Open, type: drwtsn32. You see the Dr. Watson for Windows Configuration window.Set number of errors to save to something like 10 ....Note where it is being saved and go to that file and delete the previous dumps...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  3. Kaydeth

Kaydeth Private E-2

Thx but the .dmp files are not the problem. The 20 gigabyte file is
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\drwtsn32.log

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Open the file and delete the logs ....:)

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I've never come across, or even heard of a text file that's 20GB, WOW!

As a precaution, pay a visit to the MalWare Removal forum and follow the recommendations in the stickies to rule out infection.

6. Kaydeth

Kaydeth Private E-2

Running CCleaner with default settings removed the oversized log. The rest of the malware scan didn't pick up much of anything. I still have no idea why the log got so large but at least it's gone now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds