Very Newbie Question - RE: Installing New Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by NyteOwl, Jul 5, 2006.

1. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Private E-2

When installing a new program you're always told to "close all other applications" by the setup program ( in Windows XP SP2). Turning off your firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware real time monitoring apps, even for a few minutes, doesn't seem wise as my firewall and anti-virus logs show undesirables being blocked even when I've just logged on. However, I've been told NOT to install new programs in Safe Mode (without networking). How does one get around this? Stupid question, I'm sure, but can't seem to find the answer. Thanks for any replies :) .

2. foxyboy1964

foxyboy1964 Private E-2

You should unplug your connection from the wall socket.

1) switch off your PC
    2) unplug your connection
    3) reboot and disable your other applications
    4) install new software

If you are trying to install software from the net I suggest it is better to download to desktop then follow the steps above. Remember to scan your download before opening it...right click>scan with AVG. When I install new software the only things I switch off are AVG and ZoneAlarm and I've never had any problems. Good luck.

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Private E-2

Will check with my ISP about whether turning off the modem and unscrewing the cable connection, (after turning off PC), causes any problems when you reboot. On second thought, my ISP, who shall remain nameless, doesn't boast the best tech support, so perhaps I'll just try it. It's a pain, but probably the safest approach. Thanks for the feedback. :)

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Unplug the ethernet cable instead.

5. padams

padams First Sergeant

why do you need to turn off your firewall, antivirus, etc. for an install? just close any other program that's open, (i.e. firefox, limewire, etc.) then run the install. If your firewall blocks it then it should tell you it blocked it and you should have the option to unblock it. Or like everybodies been saying just unplug your ethernet cable in the back of your computer.

6. foxyboy1964

foxyboy1964 Private E-2

Depends what you're installing I suppose. For example, if you're installing DriverCleaner the read me tells you to switch of anti virus or you could have problems. Any time I'm installing games, drivers or anything I always switch these apps off, just for the sake of a trouble free installation.

7. padams

padams First Sergeant

What's the worst that could happen? Your antivirus or firewall blocking the install? No reason to turn it like i said the only problem you'll have with the install is your firewall or anitvirus blocking the install. And once again, if the install is blocked you program that blocked it will tell you and then you can choose to unblock it. porblem solved. no reason to turn anything off.

8. padams

padams First Sergeant

Totally agree with TxTazDad!

9. foxyboy1964

foxyboy1964 Private E-2

What is the problem here folks? If its software from the net then download it to a temp file or desktop first. If its an update for an app you already have on your PC then presumably you already know you can trust the source. See this link
    http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108377

10. padams

padams First Sergeant

The reason your install says please close all other programs before continuing the install is because most installs need a reboot after the process finishes. They don't want you to lose whatever you were working on so that's why they tell you to close all apps before continuing with the install.

He isn't talking about downloading the file he's talking about installing the file.

11. foxyboy1964

foxyboy1964 Private E-2

Yes, I know he is talking about installing software. So is the link that I posted. It clearly says switch off your anti virus when installing software because it can interfere with the process. Read the link, if you havent already.

12. gigabyte

gigabyte Private E-2

Padams right ,i agree with him.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

I personally have never had an issue installing applications with firewalls and antivirus programs running. If it is decent installer (very few) it may ask me to close FF or IE, before the install continues. But this is rare.

Turning off the virus scanner (or other real-time scanners) may decrease the amount of time that requires a program to be installed. Since these programs actively scans any files that are being "touched", which slows the process.

I remember way back when we use to have issues backing up our excange server. At first it took over 2 days to back up. Then we found out that Norton for Exchange was scanning every mailbox while the backup was going. We disabled the virus scanner (via a script), during the backup, and the backup took 4 hours.

Just my thoughts on this matter.

14. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Private E-2

...I've had software installers, or rather instructions on installing new software, 'recommend' disabling your ant-virus app - I wish I could remember which now but can't. Just to clarify, unplugging the Ethernet cable can be done with or without turning your modem off first?

I raise the question now not only because I needed to know in general but because I've tried installing every dedicated anti-keylogging program I can find ( Anti-Keylogger, Advanced Anti-Keylogger/Full and Lite, PrivacyKeyboard, SnoopFree and Unlogger) and none will function. So I did disable everything for re-installs in case something was interfering and ended up with a Trojan-Downloader which Spyware Doctor only found in Safe Mode. Each program fails to work in a different way. I found this at a Key-Logging Software Site, advertising one of it's features:

" Anti-Spy Protection -
    You can set Beyond Keylogger to shutdown pre-defined anti-keylogger software's. The key logger will monitor and prevent loading these pre-defined anti-keylogger software's.
    "

Am I being paranoid or could this be my problem? :confused:
    Please let me know if I should post using a new thread.
    And thanks again for all the opinions!

15. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

Hi NyteOwl,
    Don't unplug anything, just right click on your internet connection and choose disable.
    Personally I wouldn't waste my time looking for an anti keylogger.
    If you live with someone you distrust that much just move.
    If you have a decent security setup you are more likely to bring something
    nasty aboard shopping around for one than if you just fahgedaboudit.

The best running and most secure machines are built on the K.I.S.S. principle.

Later, Bad.

16. Bad_Frogger

Bad_Frogger Corporal

So now I know it's a ten minute limit on editing.
    What a PITA.
    I was trying to add that the gang nailed it on how Bass Ackwards it is to turn
    off your security to install stuff.
    Sure close open windows, turn off extra junk like chat, etc.
    If an app won't install with my basic security running, I want no part of it.

Bad out

17. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Private E-2

Thanks Bad. :) Appreciate everyone's feedback. N/O

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds