Very Peculiar Problem With Usb Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by curiousone999, Aug 19, 2017.

1. curiousone999

curiousone999 Private E-2

Weird stuff with a thumb drive

I have a brand-new Sandisk 64 GB Ultra thumb drive.

When I plug this thumb drive into a USB port on my Windows 10 computer, the LED on it lights up, the control panel recognizes the drive as "Ultra Backup", but File Explorer does not recognize it. File Explorer on my Windows XP machine also does not recognize the drive. That tells me this is NOT a registry problem. Other thumb drives I have work fine, so I think this is probably not a driver problem (contrary to what a Sandisk tech support person told me).

This problem began when I started to do a system backup. I inserted the drive into the machine and it showed up as I:.

I started RECOVERY, then at some point clicked CANCEL on the window that opened.

I then used "Safely remove hardware and eject media" to remove the drive.

But when I next inserted the drive, I found the problem I described.

When I click HARDWARE AND SOUND in control panel, the device shows up as "Ultra Backup". When I right click that icon, then click PROPERTIES, I get a box that says "Ultra Backup Properties". The info in that box says "Manufacturer unavailable", and shows the model as "Ultra Backup". The Hardware tab in this box says the device is working normally.

My guess about this problem is that somehow, software has managed to corrupt the drive in a particularly sneaky, difficult way.

Can anyone make a guess (or provide actual diagnosis) about what's going on here?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Welcome to Major Geeks

The first thing is to run Windows Updates with the Advanced Options set to the box ticked that says 'give me other updates'.
    It is possible your System OS drivers need to be updated.

NB: You might not have it, BUT if you do, Samsung Kies is known to interfere with Sandisk USB stiks.

3. curiousone999

This machine was updated about 3 weeks ago by a professional.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It doesn't need a 'professional' to run Windows Update! It is three mouse clicks 》settings 》 update & security 》 check for updates
    To ensure you get SanDisk updates do as I said originally.

It's irrelevant whether update's were last run 3 days or 3 weeks ago.

If you don't want to do the above you can post on the SanDisk support forums, but it will be the first thing they suggest.

You're welcome for the help and good luck.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. curiousone999

Please re-read my initial post.

I know about reformatting, but I cannot figure out how to reformat a drive if it is not assigned a drive letter.

7. curiousone999

1. I am a former computer programmer who's done some very arcane stuff, so I know how to update my system. I used a professional for reasons too boring to go into now.

2. I may try the Sandisk forums, but I should point out that Sandisk CHAT is a total waste of time. I suppose the reason is because the folks on the chat line don't speak English too good, and don't read English too good.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suggest you run Windows Update anyway, with the ADVANCED options for other product updates checked.
    If you can't format it again (as suggested by Digerati who probably missed your post saying File Explorer doesn't see it) then I'm out of ideas.
    The SanDisk forums are populated by English and non-English speakers alike.
    I appreciate that every phone line I have to use for banking, ISP and others (which I avoid using where possible) frequently results in a non-native English speaking person answering, but I am sure they understand something as simple as 'My SanDisk Ultra USB stick is not being recognised by Windows 10 File Explorer', and my experience is that native English speakers on commercial help lines are no more or less efficient than non-native speakers.
    As far as 'IT professionals' are concerned there are volunteers on this and other IT support forums who are far more experienced and knowledgable about the kinds of things posted here than many of the 'Technical Support' people employed by many commercial organisations

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You screwed up the file system by canceling while it was writing.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I suspect you are correct.
    Maybe on a different system - of a friend or relative - it might be possible to reformat the USB stick. Alternatively, as it is a brand new stick get a replacement or refund direct from the seller, just saying 'I can't get it to work'.

11. curiousone999

Maybe.

I used the CANCEL button that was shown in the window that popped up--I did not cancel the operation with Task Manager or some "unexpected" way like that.

In any case, the question is, how come the hardware detection window detects this drive, but File Explorer does not give it a drive letter?

12. curiousone999

Yes, I could get another drive, but this situation intrigues me, and I'd sure like to know what happened.

And I would not try to get a new product from the seller since the reason this USB stick does not work is my own fault, somehow, not the seller's.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried resetting using Windos diskpart command ?

14. curiousone999

I am unable to find Windos. If you mean Windows Diskpart--a partitioning tool--you need to be able to address a device by a letter. But I have no idea how to address this wacky drive.

By contrast, I have another 32GB thumb drive attached to my machine, and it is addressed as H:. (I partitioned my hard drive into D:\, E:\, and F:\.)

15. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried assigning a drive letter in Disk Management?

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

17. curiousone999

I don't see how I can do that--Disk Management shows only disks or partitions it recognizes; no way a user can arbitrarily assign a letter to an external drive that Disk Management doesn't show (at least in Win 10).

18. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sorry about that.
    It seems the drive is truly damaged.

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Have you followed the advice to try it in a different computer?

20. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

21. curiousone999

I started looking at it, but his first example is of a drive that's corrupted, but is given a drive letter. My problem is that File Explorer doesn't find the drive at all.

HOWEVER, the web site for this video might be promising, so I'll check that out. Thank you for sending.

22. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

From
    at 7 min 30 seconds onward the video describes a USB drive that is not recognized.
    His answer is to go to device manager and find the yellow caution triangle. Right click on it and select uninstall device.
    Then restart the PC.
    I do not know if it will work but it might be worth trying.
    Good luck,
    s.

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Have you run Windows Updates, have you tried the USB drive on another system?
    No answers.
    If it were me I would save my wasted time by just getting a replacement since as morally worthy it is to say 'It's my fault' I doubt the profits of SanDisk or its multibillion multinational owner Western Digital would be affected or they would care very much about the minute cost.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds