Very slow buffering suddenly on 3 laptops connected to the same wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hannahpatricia, Nov 11, 2012.

1. hannahpatricia

hannahpatricia Private E-2

For about a week now the 3 PCs in our house have had very slow buffering, be it youtube, iplayers, spotify. It loads at a snails pace, it can take nearly half an hour to load a music video for example. It used to be lightening quick.

We are all connected to the same wireless network on the home Sky modem.

I have tried resetting the modem, I've tried taking out the wires and putting them back in.

On my computer I have noticed the speed keeps fluctuating anywhere between 2mbps to 26mbps which doesn't seem to have any effect on the speed of anything, however my Mum's PC has 65mbps which doesn't fluctuate (her PC is closer to the modem) yet her video buffering is just as bad as mine, as is on the third PC.

How can we fix this problem??

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, hannahpatricia, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

Does the modem have ethernet output ports and do you have an ethernet cable available? If so, then try hard-wiring one of the laptops to the modem and seeing if your symptoms change.

Also, even though you stated that you reset your modem, have you tried completely powering the unit down for a while and restarting it?

And sometimes a phone call to your ISP can work wonders - they may be able to check your incoming line, see if there are problems there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds