Very strange behavior with new mini SD card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sordup, Apr 10, 2015.

1. sordup

sordup Private E-2

I am having a very odd problem on my Windows 7 64b, HP laptop machine:

I just got a brand new 128gb Mini SD card and have been in the process of moving files and folders (mostly of audio libraries) onto it.
    Everything was going well until I noticed a particular folder containing 35gb of files showed up as being empty although the 35gb worth of space was shown by Windows to be taken up when viewing the Properties of the drive.
    A ctrl-A selection of all the folders now on the card showed only the couple gigabytes correctly contained in the other folders moved to the drive/card, however. These other folders behaved normally.

The files in the questionable folder (patches and samples for an audio sampler program) are simply not viewable (Show hidden and system files is checked on, by the way). These same files and folders are perfectly viewable and usable in their previous (recently moved to) location on my desktop. Dragging and dropping them into their desired new location on the SD card performs the appropriate time-consuming operation, showing the progress of the 35gb copy to its completion. Space is then taken up, but no files are viewable, accessible, or even deletable!

Even selecting all and deleting all leaves the card empty of all files and folders in explorer, but the drive's capacity properties show 35gb still being taken up!

I should mention that I then re-formatted the drive/card (exFAT, default settings - same as it came) and began the copy procedure again with the same effects as above. There are no particularly large file sized in this folder.

What, pray tell, could be going on here???

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you bought it on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com/bhp/128gb-micro-sd
    then it is a bogus card. Those prices are too low for a true 128GB sdhc card.
    If you bought it from a retailer, return it for an exchange.

3. sordup

sordup Private E-2

Well, I paid what I thought was a good price from a retailer, but it was still 5 times as much as some of those on eBay that you show!

Back it goes, I guess. But what is wrong with it?

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The low priced ones on ebay may be "doctored" to make their capacities seem large when in actuality they're low capacity (ie 32 MB appears to be 32 GB).

Once the max capacity is reached, they literally self destruct and all your data is lost. They've done this with some name brands such as Sandisk and, of course, the Chinese "clones". I now use Kingston only.

5. sordup

sordup Private E-2

Though I didn't by this on eBay and it was nowhere near the prices there, it is likely a chinese no-name card. However, the problems I was having occurred immediately and long before any capacity was reached. The retailer is replacing it without question, so maybe they are used to this. Hopefully the replacement will work.

Thanks for the input.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds