Very strange display problem!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amjad, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hi!
    I talked about this before, but it wasn't clear, and I didn't have the whole picture back then.

OK, I have this computer with it's Philips monitor, GeForce FX 5500 VGA
    The colors are not right, for example when you open a window, beside the upper right corner you'll see gradients of yellow and other stuff. It's just like you are using 256 colors mode or even worse. I suspected the VGA first, then the driver of the VGA, but the strange thing is when you are on desktop, everything's fine. When you preview the screen saver (Fish Aquarium or something that is full of colors) everything is fine too.

I even used the PrintScreen button to capture the damaged picture, pasted it in the Paint app, but it was fine!

So, could it be the monitor? (It's not reasonable)

:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Seems that if it's only in one corner, and the 'effect' doesn't cut-n-paste, then it's the monitor. Do you have a speaker or another magnetic source near that part of the screen?

3. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

If it's a CRT monitor (not a flat panel solid-state monitor), then try pulling the AC power plug WHILE IT IS DISPLAYING AN IMAGE (meaning, the computer is on and the monitor has a valid signal feeding it). Don't power-down the compter - only the monitor. Wait a few seconds, and put the plug back in.

No guarantee that your problem will be fixed, but a lot of CRT monitors can be degaussed using that method, as when the field collapses there is a very power magnetic surge. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, depending on many things. But it's somethings easy to try, and the price is right.

Of course, it's possible that you have a failing component in the monitor causing the symptom.
    Good luck with it.

4. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Thank you my friends for your suggestions.
    I'll try them and inform you with the results.

I hope it is the monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds