Very WIERD RAM ISSUE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by renegadeone8, Jun 23, 2007.

1. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

Ok I had/have 3GB of ram for my pc...Had it all in, all working 100% fine. great...everyone wants 3 gigs of ram to run vista. I find it to be my vista "sweet spot" i guess. Anyway i am rambling.

So I go on a trip with my baseball team where we pack everything into our van, and trailer. I bring my PC along (packed tightly in a bag, wrapped in clothes and padding....and not smashed under other stuff) so I get here, and try to boot the PC....no dice....fans spin, but no post. I start messing around and take all my ram out putting it in one stick at a time (2x1GB and 2x512MB all kingston good quality DDR2). It boots perfectly all 4 times.

So i put the 2x1GB sticks in...boots fine, dual channel all that jazz. So i think the ram was just seated wrong, i put the last 2 sticks in, close it up and boot again. No dice...with all 3 gigs in it wont boot. So i take them out, test them one at a time (once in each slot...) and it boots every time....if i put both sticks in together they dont work though.

basically no matter what slots i use, whether i use dual or single channel i can get up to 2.5 gigs, but when i put the last half gig in, it doesnt work at all. All the stick check out fine on memtest individually...any ideas? this is the wierdest thing i have ever seen

Specs just incase
    MSI AM2 motherboard - model FID something...the only one with integrated quadro
    graphics

BFG 7600 GT

600W Aspire power supply

AMD X2 5000+ @ stock speed (motherboard doesnt even allow overclocking)

2x1GB Kingston RAM (works fine)

2x512 MB kingston RAM (work fine individually in all 4 slots...not when paired up)

Much help needed...thanks.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Any chance you could try a different power supply?

It could've got damaged in the transit and as a result is not sending enough power to the motherboard, resulting in failure to post.

3. Brian W

Brian W Private E-2

Dunno if this is any help or not but your PC will boot up on the lower end ram say you have a ddr 2700 and a 3200 it boots on the 2700 plus sometimes PC's just have an attitude just keep the 1g and the 2 512 in the same slots they were in and keep playing with it eventually it should start to work again.. I've had the same problem with one of my PC's

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds