Video Card causes crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ricebowl, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Ricebowl

Ricebowl Private E-2

I hope this is not a bad post being that I am a newb but here goes. Recently built a new computer for a friend and the video card seems to be causing it to crash. The reason I say video card instead of drivers or software is that once the computer crashes it can't be powered off using the power button. I have to unplug it to power it off. If I remove the video card, the onboard video has no issues and everything is great.

I have the latest drivers for the motherboard and VC. I havent tried the VC in another computer yet but will be doing that soon hopefully. Thanks for any help. Cheers

Asus Motherboard: M4A-78 Pro
    XFX Video card: HD4850

2. Well can we have the spec of the rest of the machine including PSU?

Also if you can give the card ago in another machine that would be great for us to hear the results :)

We can continue from there.

3. Ricebowl

Ricebowl Private E-2

Sorry about that.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A78 PRO
    MEMORY: Memory Master - memory master 2gb x4 pci 2-1066
    VIDEO CARD: XFX - ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card
    POWER SUPPLY: Xclio X14 S4P3 550W
    HD: 500G WD

4. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

Not sure about that brand of PSU but all things considered that would be the first place I would start. 550 watts sounds kind of weak for that system. Only if it was of a quality make with dual 12v rails would 550 watts be ok (maybe)......

5. Ricebowl

Ricebowl Private E-2

Replaced PSU with larger unit and problem solved. Guess I should pay more attention. Thanks for suggestions.

jeff

6. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

No problemo. Glad to hear it was that simple.:wine

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds