video card for a gateway 507gr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnny815, Apr 25, 2008.

1. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

Ok, i have a gateway 507gr with 2 gigs of ram. my power supply is 300 watts. i am looking to get a new video card but im not sure what kind to get. my computer uses ddr memory so when i found a bunch of memory cards that i liked were ddr2 or ddr3 i wasent sure if they would work on my comoputer or not. i dont know much about computer hardware because i am still learning. upgrading my power supply wont be a option since im only 15 and on a budget. so the question is what type of video card can i use? and does the ddr memory type matter.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

thank you, so the ddr type dosent matter? o and can i run these video cards at 300 watts?

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

No, the DDR type does not matter. The memory on the video card and the memory in the PC do not have to match.
    No. The 8800 series is a very high end card and probably wouldn't fit into your budget anyway. The cheapest of the 8800s are about $150 and range up to over $300. Your choices for a video card upgrade are very limited with such a small power supply. I think you're probably better off just waiting and saving your money until you can get both a good video card and a power supply. The video cards that would be stable with a 300w power supply are all fairly low end and probably wouldn't be much of an improvement and would be money wasted because you'd be so unhappy with it that you'd need to upgrade again. Don't upgrade twice if you can help it; save your money until you can get both the power supply and the video card.

Good luck!
    :major
    [dlb]

(BTW- I recently purchased a new motherboard, a 9600GT Geforce video card, and a 3rd gig of RAM, and haven't built the system yet because I'm waiting until I get a better power supply. The waiting is killing me, but I want all the new gear to run perfectly, and don't want to risk damaging anything. A good video card with a capable power supply should run about $250-$300 depending on the specifics.)

5. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

ok i went to newegg and found this video card SAPPHIRE 100195L Radeon X1650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card. heres the link
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102084

the specs dont say how many watts i need so if i can get some more help i would be grateful.

ok so nvm that question i read the other reviews and a guy said he got it so he didnt have to up0grade his 2750 watt power supply, so i shud be fine thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds