Video card for hooking up dual monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyM, Jun 1, 2010.

1. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi there - just a quick question.....

I would like to know if the PNY VCGFX522PEB GeForce FX
    5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card is compatible with the NVIDIA®
    GeForce®4™ MX graphics with 64MB DDR shared memory. I want to set up
    dual monitors and need a 2nd video card.

Thanks!!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Is the NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics with 64MB DDR shared memory an onboard, i.e. integrated into the motherboard, display adapter? Most likely, you won't be able to use both onboard video and an add-on video card at the same time.

Does your FX 5200 have two video/monitor connectors? Many cards have one VGA connector and one DVI connector and will support two monitors.

3. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Yes, it is an onboard video with just the VGA connector. The new video card would be the one I would use to hook up 2 monitors - I believe the add-on would automatically disable the onboard video, correct?

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Depends. If the onboard video and the new card are Hybrid SLI or Hybrid CrossFIre enabled, they will both be used, but most of the time the PCI-E slot will override the inbuilt graphics.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If you have an AGP or PCI Express slot, either will give better performance than PCI. Also, if a card with a later video chip is within your budget, I suggest stepping up a notch or two or when choosing a card. But, of course, this depends on what you'll be doing with the computer and two monitors.

6. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I dont remember so I will have to open it up. But, since it is my hubby's puter I have to wait until the weekend. It wont be used for gaming - just the stock market....

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If you post the make and model of the computer, we can probably help get that info from Internet sources, without you opening the computer.

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

That's a pretty old card

Can you post your full system specs? May be better off buying a newer card for less.

9. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If you want dual monitors then your best bet may be to replace the card, considering it's age. I don't know of any current graphics card that will not run 2 screens, as long as you pay over £40 for it. If it's just for the stock market then http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119724 would be fine for you. I am sure if you looked elsewhere you could find a PCI card for less, and there are plenty of AGP and PCI-E ones for less, but as you say we do not know your slot types yet.

10. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Thanks everyone - here are the specs:

Specifications
    CPU : AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ Processor
    (512KB L2 cache, 2.083GHz, 333MHz FSB)
    Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Chipset : NVIDIA® nForce™ 2 chipset
    Memory : 512MB DDR (PC2700); expandable to 2GB
    Hard Drive : 160GB HDD
    Optical Drive : 16x DVD±RW multi-format double layer
    Media Reader : 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)
    Video : NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics with 64MB DDR shared memory
    Sound : nForce™ 6-channel audio
    Network : Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN
    Modem : 56K ITU v.92-ready fax/modem
    Peripherals : Standard multi-media keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
    Interfaces : 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 in media manager, 4 in back), VGA external connector, 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out
    Dimensions : 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
    Weight : 22.5 lbs (PC only, no packaging)

11. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

12. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

I'd recommend this ATI 3650. Hope this answers your question.;)

13. TheRealGEEK

Oh and the 9400GT is a PCI-Express Card.

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That card would be great but it's PCI Express, not just plain PCI, and we still don't know whether your motherboard has PCI Express. Can you post the make and model of your motherboard or, if you have a major brand computer, the make and model of your computer?

Also, this can easily be determined by opening the computer if you know what to look for. This reference should help: http://www.hardware.windowsreinstall.com/graphicscard.htm

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

16. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi - the make is an e-machine T2899 and I will not be able to open it up until the weekend. Thanks :)

17. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Can't find anything using the model #, sorry. We will have to wait for you to open it. Perhaps a picture or 2 of the inside would be helpful?

18. TheRealGEEK

19. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If we find out an AGP slot is present.

20. TheRealGEEK

Is that Socket 370?!?

21. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Here is the board..

Attached Files:

22. TheRealGEEK

Ya get the 3650.;)

23. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

stupid question...is the D-sub the same as a VGA? Never mind...it is a stupid question and I have my answer :)

24. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I am at a standstill here and got my mind in a tizz....I bought a new card to hook up dual monitors. Installed beautifully and they both work. Here is my stupid question......I am only getting images on the primary and nothing on the secondary....what the h*** am I missing??

25. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

You probably need to set it up

XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

Windows 7: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/how-to-setup-dual-monitors-in-windows-7/

26. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

27. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Can you give an example or examples of how you want to use dual monitors? For example, if you have Microsoft Office, is having Word displayed on one monitor and Excel displayed on the other monitor the way you want to use them?

And, I mean Word and Excel could be in maximized mode on each monitor.

28. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Yes......

29. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If you right click on the desktop and select Properties to open Display Properties, and select the tab for Settings, you see two monitors represented by boxes numbered 1 and 2, right? If you select 2, you have a check mark in the box for "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor", right?

If you open Control Panel, do you have an icon for NVIDIA Control Panel?

30. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I just checked and I do not have an icon for NVIDIA control panel. The monitors I have are a 19" and a 24" and they are both ASUS. But now I am getting the mouse freezing on me..... the card I bought is a PowerColor HD ATI radeon 3650....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  31. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Oh, you have an ATI video card. So, obviously you would not have an NVIDIA control panel. But, I believe you should have an ATI equivalent in Control Panel.

I mentioned the NVIDIA control panel because that's where I can set the way in which my dual monitors work. Since you have ATI and I'm not familiar with their software, I'll have to leave assistance on that to someone else.

Edit: This may be helpful: http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/multimonitor_Guide.pdf

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  32. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Thanks for the link....apparently the disc didn't download everything it needed...workiing on it now! Thank you so much!

33. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I have a question for you. I did purchase this product and installed all the drivers etc. This is for a dual monitor set up so my husband can do realtime stock charts. The problem I am having is when a chart is brought up and loaded and I go to the next one my mouse freezes. What would cause that problem?? Thanks, Kathy

34. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi - I have a question....the computer that I put the video card in only has 512mb ram. When I am in dualview the mouse freezes and sometimes the computer reboots. I also get the error message that the "VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphic driver commands". i have searched hard and long and can't find what the solution is for this......would having only 512mb ram make a difference? Thanks, Kathy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds