Video card Nvidia 5200FX problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PooLips, Sep 25, 2007.

1. PooLips

PooLips Private E-2

Hi,
    I have been for a while been having freezes when first turning on the computer. Occasionally I get a blue screen nv4_disp error. Also when playing a game or doing video editing I get random crashes.
    I have a nvidia 5200FX card.
    I updated my video card driver which didn't fix the problem.
    I found that the fan isn't working.
    I'm not sure if this is the only problem since I can't see why it should over heat at startup.
    Thanks

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Replace the fan. It is very bad to run a video card with no cooling on it.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I agree with pclover, replace that fan immediatly! I see you reinstalled your video card drivers. You might want to look around for a different driver version, but only after you fix the obvious problem. The fan. Then we can work from there.

Once you get the fan fixed, here are a couple of temperature monitoring and general all around tools you should check out:

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

http://majorgeeks.com/SiSoftware_Sandra_Lite_d4664.html

This also would be a great time to clean out the dust bunnies in all the heatsinks and the computer case.

E:cool

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  4. PooLips

PooLips Private E-2

Thanks for the replies.
    I figured I should try and upgrade. I tried to install a Geforce 7600GS which kept crashing windows so I changed back but things kept getting worse with crashes before windows could load.
    Before I knew it I couldn't even start in safe mode.
    I had been thinking of doing a fresh windows install since I had not done this after 3 yrs of using this computer.
    I can't even reinstall windows. I get to the window where the setup files are loaded and part way through I get setup cannot copy the file ... It stops on various files. Sometimes pressing retry a few times works eventually on another file it wont.
    I'm guessing it's another hardware problem.

5. PooLips

PooLips Private E-2

Hi anyone,
    Decided to do a clean windows install which was due. Still the same problem. Whenever. I first start up the computer it soon freezes then reboots especially if trying to play a game. I have no bios setting for agp speed but changed from 8x to 4x using powerstrip. I increased my agp aperture size for the new 256mb card from 64 to 128. What is agp comp driving. It is set to auto. Thanks

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

You might try doing a low level format and see if that helps.

7. just for fun . Remove the card clean the contacts and reinstall it..and a new fan.Is it WAY HOT to the touch when you start it up?If not well it not overheating...maybe time for a new MB...or maybe a PCI card!

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Try to answer threads that are new, plenty of people need help more recently. Thanks.

9. PooLips

PooLips Private E-2

It turned out it was a problem with the RAM slot on the motherboard. An old motherboard so not salvageable I think or worth salvaging. Thanks for the reply anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds