Video Card/Older system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ziggysawdust, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ziggysawdust

ziggysawdust Private E-2

My trusty PC has been working very well for a long time. I have a Pent III 850 processor ,640 megs of ram, and a G-Force 2 Ultra video card. This has been serving me well even for gaming( Like NWN , Far Cry, etc. If I bought a higher end vid card like a 256 meg ATI 9600 would this be OK to do or would it be an exercise in futility? I cannot upgrade my CPU any higher( it's a slot 1). :confused:

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The upgrade wont be worth the money your system simply could not make anywhere near the most of the card,that is ofcourse if the card worked at all,if you enjoy playing games,it will be worth looking into a new computer,
    In my honest opinion. :(

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

You can go as hi as a 1.4 GHz celeron thay make slot 1 to socket 370 adapters...And it all depends on the game ...most games are 90% to 95% video card and 5% to 10% CPU the big acception being half life 2 with its vary CPU demanding phisics...buy the time you get a slot 1 to socket 370 adapter and a new video card you could prolly have payd for a new mobo and CPU...

4. ziggysawdust

ziggysawdust Private E-2

Thank you for your opinions. I really figured as much. Time to go shopping I guess.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds