Video Card Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KFresh, Aug 23, 2007.

1. KFresh

KFresh Private E-2

Hello,

I've had my ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb AGP for a couple years now, and yesterday I noticed that my PC would crash after about 5 minutes. The screen gets pixelated with a blue screen in the background. Anyways, I took my PC apart and noticed that the fan on my video card wasn't spinning. Afterwards, I cleaned up the heatsink.

I turned my pc on again and it's still not spinning. So I guess I'll have to replace it. What are some good options for a replacement VGA cooler? The space in my case is kind of limited so nothing too big. Thanks

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

I've had a Radeon 9800 Pro AIW 128mb for three years - it overheated right out of the box whenever I tried playing any graphic intensive game.

http://www.directron.com/vf700cu.html

The above link is the product I bought to rectify the problem, and it worked like a charm (I did have to prune a few of the tines, as my card was the All-in-wonder and had a tuner that was in the way. It was an easy install. There are others on this site also - including replacement stock fans.

Overheating and fan failures on the 9800 cards (not to mention problems with the power connectors) seem to be all too common. Once these mechanical problems are addressed, however, I can't complain about the 9800's overall video performance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds