Video Card Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orlandur20, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Orlandur20

Orlandur20 Private E-2

I'm having problems with the Readon 9800 pro, Excalibur that I just bought from Newegg. After 10 mins into gaming, the screen goes blank and I have to restart. I know its overheating because I put a giant fan against the video card and it worked fine. I installed one of the smaller fans into the computer but it seems its not enough. The video card has a great reputation for being cooled well and all the reviews says there is no overheating problem. Could it be that the heatsink isnt working? or my settings and bios are really screwed up?

Computer Specs.(It was built)
    Intel Pentium 4 2.6 mgz
    512MB
    Info on Card:
    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9800PRO/380MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/680MHz
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

2. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Is the fan on the card spinning at all?
    What type of case is this in? Got a link to it?

I'm running a GeForce FX 5900 @ 483/892 with the AGP voltage @ 1.600, up from stock speeds of 400/850 AGP voltage 1.500 & it's running 32c at idle. After hours of playing BFV it sometimes gets to maybe 41-43c, depending on the room temp.

3. Orlandur20

Orlandur20 Private E-2

THis is the closest thing t what it looks like, its just a generic case,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-154-004&depa=0

Yes, the fan is spinning, but I notice all the buttom card of its get cooled, the top doest, the view of the top is on the pic below. No one else has this problems so im asumming it may be something in my settings? or im overclocking it and i dont know it, doubt it though since i dont know how to do that.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-161-109&DEPA=0

4. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Ok case seems ok to me, maybe a better PSU? Also you have fans in both locations in the case? Front & back?

Now.............................

What is that toggle switch on the video card for?

5. Orlandur20

Orlandur20 Private E-2

I dont have any extra fans besides the ones that came with the cpu, power supply and the video card...the toggle switch is for high or low fan speed on the card. I bought a small one the other day and placed it on the back, right on top the card but it seems it wasent enough, only the giant fan is enough when I open the case.

6. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Well man I would suggest getting at least two 80mm fans. Put one in the front pulling in & the other in the back pulling out. Seems to me you're just getting enough airflow through the case.

Another thing? Is the case on the floor, inside a desk or sitting on top of the desk? Is it hot in the room? I'm betting if you're not getting enough ventilation, then the CPU is most likely running a bit hot as well.

7. Orlandur20

Orlandur20 Private E-2

Yeah thanks, the airflow was the problem, funny thing was everything worked fine after i took off one of the sides on the computer. However, the original bios that was set was Asyncrhonous (no idea what that is) and I had changed to Syncrhonous (no idea what that is either) because i was told somewhere on help forum...the funny thing is, even if i get enough airflow now, it still crashes on asyncrhonous and 8x (original setting) and works fine on syncrhonous and 4x...could does mean that its a bad hardware?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds