Video Card prevents Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marshism, Jan 21, 2007.

1. marshism

marshism Private E-2

Wondering if anyone has advise for this issue: Installed a new video card: GdForce 6200 LE. This was in order to play a new game my son bought. Game works great, but now Windows Media Player and Quick Time won't play video clips.

The card cd placed an icon in my system tray, and by going to the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, I tried disabling Direct Draw Acceleration, Direct 3D Acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration.

As long as those are disabled, I can play video clips--but then can't play the game. Not only the game, but now can't getting into Google Earth.

Any idea how to get this video card to work with both the game AND playing video clips?

2. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I bought an EVGA GeForce 6200 256 MB AGP card last fall. The card never really worked right in two different computers. It did work but thing were always flakey with lockups and boot problems. I finally RMA'd the card and got a replacement. I put the new card in my wife's computer and everything seemed OK. I tried all of the things that had been problematic with the original card and it all seemed good.

Quite by coincidence, just today I tried to play a video clip from the Internet with Media Player 10 and the thing just sits there forever. It's like it can't download what is needed. Everything else seem to work. It will play video clips that are saved on the hard drive and music. I don't use that computer much, so I'm not sure what has happened or when it happened.

I know this hasn't been much help but I think we are having a similiar problem and just wanted to share my experience.

Please post again if you come up with anything.

Doug

3. PokeyBoy

PokeyBoy Private E-2

I tried the same thing you did, disabling Direct Draw Acceleration, Direct 3D Acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration. Sure enough the internet video clips would then play.

I then decided to re-enable all of the Direct Draw items. Surprisingly, everything continued to work just fine! I don't know what toggling the Direct Draw did, but it sure was "good medicine" for the computer.

I don't have any video games, so I don't know what effect it would have had in that regards.

BTW, I do have the latest nvida drivers, for what it's worth.

Thanks for your help! I will post if anything new turns up.

Doug

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds