Video Card upgrades in Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jscott, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jscott

jscott Private E-2

I recently aquired 2 Dell machines from an auction at work: OptiPlex GX260 and Precision 340. Both have a P4 2.0 GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 250W power supplies and support AGP 4x (AGP 2.0 specs). One uses an integrated video while the other has a dull Matrox Millenium G450 video card. I want to upgrade both to a NVidia-based card, but don't know what GeForce series both machines can support up to. I was thinking of one of the GeForce4 cards, but not sure if I can go any higher than that. What's the highest GeForce card the machines can support? I've posted this question in the Dell Support Forums, but so far no replies.

Thanks,
    Jon.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You *might* be stuck down at a GeForce 4 card since the 6 and 7 series are 8x agp. Some research should turn up if the 8x agp is backwards compatible.

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

There are plenty of choices. You'll want an AGP card. Here is a list of quite a few of them from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ory=48&ATTR10=2010380048+70001614&Order=price

Which card you get will depend on what you are planning on using the computers for. If they are going to be used for gaming, you will probably want a Geforce 6600GT or higher. I see some of them around the $130 range.

If you are only using them for web browsing, email, word processing, etc. there is really no need to upgrade. The Matrox and integrated video cards should be just fine.

M.A. the Geforce 6x00 cards aren't 4x? I am under the impression that 8x cards are also 4x backward compatible.

Here is one that is....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

It does specifically say 4x/8x while others do only say 8x, so maybe not all of them are.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

5. jscott

jscott Private E-2

Nice to finally get *some* feedback regarding Dell support! :)

Yes, I plan to use the machines for some gaming, thus the reason for my post.

While I'm not a hardware expert, but if a card says AGP 3.0 compliant slot required (which is a 4x/8x slot), will the card work on a machine which has an AGP 2.0 compliant (2x/4x) slot?

Is the 250W power supply enough for the GeForce 6x00 cards? I thought those required more power, at least a 350W or higher.

Thanks,
    Jon.

6. jscott

jscott Private E-2

I'm assuming I need a "low profile" AGP card to support AGP 2.0 compliance 4x, right? Whenever I do a Google or eBay search for GeForce, AGP 4x, Low Profile, I seem to get a hit on this card more than everything else.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=G4MX4000-T64&class=vga

It is a GeForce4 card and probably will work on my old Dell machines with the 250w power supplies that are in there. However, it seems there are no reviews on this MSI card nor does anyone seem to own/use it? Can anyone comment on this card?

Thanks,
    Jon.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No you dont need a low profile card,just check the card thats in if the space if free for the length an width above the card your good,low profile cards are for cases with small geometry

As MA said to do any kind of gaming your gonna want a geforce 4 card,your cpu or psu wont support anything greater,upgrading the dell psu also isnt worth it the time or money

IMHO buying a used geforce 4 titanium would give you the best bang for next to no bucks,I'v just had a quick look and cant see any new ones on new egg

http://www.guru3d.com/review/geforce4/

The card you posted is an mx version which is far slower than the Ti's :)

8. jscott

jscott Private E-2

OK, I found and bought this card on eBay:

MSI G4 nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti-4200 128MB

Said was 2x/4x compatible and email response said 250w p/s was sufficient enough to run card. Will see how it goes when I get it in. Thanks for all your help.

Jon.

9. jscott

jscott Private E-2

Stuck my GeForce4 TI 4200 card in the Dell Precision, installed the latest drivers from NVidia, and everything works like a charm. Graphics are much better and faster than the crappy Matrox Millenium G450 that was in there.

Thanks!
    Jon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds