Video Card Won't Run At 4x Agp Speed Although Mobo Supports It

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, May 3, 2010.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

For some reason my computer freezes/reboots in Xp when I run my video card at 4x speed (max available in the bios). I've tried installing the operating system fresh, I have the adequate motherboard drivers, and video card drivers and all. But the Pc freezes at 4x agp speed even though my motherboard supports it.

Hardware:
    All In Wonder X800 XT (Video Card)
    Asus Tuv4x (Motherboard)

If you look up the specifications of my hardware you'll see its compatible. Unless I'm terribly wrong. Maybe there's some bios settings I overlooked, but I doubt it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2vqpdo
    [Official Asus TUV4X Manual - 3MB size PDF]

Here's my psu specs:

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I have seen this happen when the card shares resources with the machine, how much ram do you have and yes look over the settings in the bios. There may be a setting that needs to be fiddle with, look in the boards manual for some tips.

3. superstar

I have two sticks of 512MB Pc133 Sdram installed. And what do you mean by "share resources"? By that do you mean psu power, irq, or something else? I don't know what settings to try out in my bios which is why I posted a link to my motherboard manual.

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Many boards share the board ram and video ram, it looks like you have ample ram. I looked over the manual for your board to see if I could see a possible cause, when I pulled up the specs on your card it states 300 watts or better power supply and also XP with SP2. You may be exceeding your power supplies output when adding all other components! The newer higher performance cards draw considerable power add that to what else is drawing power. I just looked for a manufacture date for your board it was made in 2001, I am guessing the system is about that old. Links to both below!

http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/download/manual/370/tuv4x_e.pdf

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx800/aiwx800xl/specs.html

5. superstar

Sounds good... So what your saying is I should try out a better psu? If so would you be able to recommend one from my local pc store:

www.canadacomputers.com

This is the only place I shop for pc supplies, since I can easily ask for a refund if things don't work out well.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

They state 300 as a base your PSU says 450 seems as if it should do the job, how old is it? Deer PSU's do not have the greatest name, though a bunch of the generics are Deers just boxed under another name? It does seem as if I am on the right track being as it will run at 2X and break down at 4X, the supply may not be putting out to its rated capacity. Do one more thing first test your ram just to make sure it is not adding to or leading us off!

Down load Memtest86 it is free and works great: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Memtest86-plus-Download-13000.html
    Get the floppy version, let it run for an hour any sign even the slightest means a stick is going bad. A little change in system power needs may effect it not sure but worth checking.

If you do end up going for a PSU I would recommend Antec, first tie I picked one up I said it feels like a brick. It was almost twice as heavy as what I pulled out, a PSU's weight tells of the quality of its components light weights are junk.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  7. superstar

I's about 3-4 years old... I only used it in this system as a test psu. & am going to replace it regardless. I just don't know how to calculate the right psu needs for this pc. That's one of my weak points when it comes to computers.

I found 62 hours to be sufficient enough a few days ago when I already tested this. It's funny though because my two sticks of 512mb sram will only work in slots 2, and 4 position. Any other position leads to errors.

[​IMG]

The psu is a generic $25 piece of no name garbage. It would be expected... I'll rush out and buy an Antec but I don't know how to read psu specs well enough to buy something stable.

Thank you so much for all of your help! I've learned a lot from you in this thread. You have have been very helpful beyond your means. It would be great if you could help me out further more.

:wave

8. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

As for good quality PSU's, Corsair are the ones to chose.

Use this PSU calculator to work out your requirments, but remember to add 50-150 on to what you get to allow for upgrades.

The corsair TX650 is a good PSU for you, and will last many upgrades, comes with a 5 year warranty and is the most stable PSU money can buy, (IMO) ;)

9. superstar

I have the strongest suspicion that it is my power supply that's not giving enough power for my video card to work at 4x Agp speed. From what I understand in my searches through wikipedia, 4x Agp speed utilizes 3.3volts. & that's also being used by my two sticks of 512mb of ram. So well since my psu is generic it's quite possible that it can't give enough juice.

But hey Burell isn't that Corsair psu you recommended for sata 20 pin type motherboards? Keep in mind this motherboard is from around 2002, and uses 24 pin + IDE drives.

10. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yep, the Corsair PSU has 20+4 pin power connector so it will fit your MB.

11. superstar

Could it be that there are 6 devices sharing irq 9 ??? Lol even my vid card is sharing it too. Anyway I noticed Plug and Play OS was set to OFF in the bios. I'll change it, reinstall windows and see if that fixes the IRQ bunching. If it doesn't I'll have to manually set IRQS in the bios. Anyone know if there's a way to switch the IRQ on the video card worst case scenario?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds