Video Editing - HP Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mule8749, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mule8749

mule8749 Private E-2

Newly purchased HP ZE4427WM laptop. My son wishes to use for video editing.
    How good are the capabilities of this model? If necessary can it be enhanced? Thanks to Major Geek and anyone that can offer some direction on this. Don
    smallengine1@hotmail.com

2. fxman

fxman Private First Class

HMMmmm, I dont know about editing video on a laptop, especially if your son is using Premiere pro or equivalant software. In my expereince editing if you dont have sufficient ram the computer will bog down when adding transitions and effects. Then you have to have enough hard drive space to capture video. These files can take up alot of space. I had a computer built and added on to it gradually at first. This is what I went with, keep in mind, that if he is serious about editing then this would be the route to go so he doesnt run into problems. I started off with a (gigabyte)
    GA-7DPXDW-P server motherboard with dual processors (AMD). Do a search (newegg) and you will find that this is an awesome board! It has onboard promise raid, which when I capture video to my raid drives its very fast!. I have two 120gig HD for the raid, the computer sees them as one big drive (240gig) these drives are used to render projects out. If I render something out in After Effects, I direct it to the raid drives, If I render something out in Maya, I direct it to the raid drives. I have an 80 gig as a C: drive for programs. I invested in a Matrox P-750 display card and a Matrox RTX 10 video capture card ( you can go to Matrox.com and check up on there products) I also went with a Audigy sound card. I run 2-19" viewsonic lcds for more realestate. To tell you the truth this wasnt all built in one wack, I got up and running and saved here and there. It is expensive, no doubt, but I love what I do and I am not limited to what I can do and it makes ALL the difference. I am afraid that your son may get frustrated trying to edit on a laptop and giveup. I believe that if you build him a good PC he will get more out of it. I hope I have helped. If you have any questions feel free to email me at rennisanceman2000@yahoo.com I would be glad to do what ever I can to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds