Video games women play or good non-blokey games???

Discussion in 'Software' started by jacknscoob, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi Guys

Sorry if my title sounds a bit sexist, you know what I mean.

I am looking for some video games to play on my laptop, but not war, guns or driving games. Can anyone give me some ideas!

Second Life is an interactive game...does anyone play that? However, I don't think the spec of my laptop is up to it.

Thanks in advance!:)

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are various game categories - it's not just war, racing & sport. You need to at least tell us what interests you. And, as JoeRay12 said, tell us about your PC. In the mean time, have a look at the following website. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can select your Windows OS.

http://www.gametop.com/

According to VirusTotal, the site is 100% safe.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/2...0bbd600484ed5e73ac4e5ca5/analysis/1427324953/

If you like Hidden Object games, I will reccomend:
    Mystery of Mortlake Mansion.
    Prime Suspects.
    Little Shop - Road Trip.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi Guys

Yes, sorry, should have given you my laptop spec. It's a Medion Akoya E7220 Intel Core i3-2310m CPU 2.10GHz, 4GB, 64-bit. 750GB hard drive (it's a bit full, I need a clean out of duplicate photos!). Is that enough info?

Re games, I like the idea of Second Life but I know that my laptop spec isnt good enough. Are there any other similar games to that? I havnt really played that many games, willing to try a few out. I need a major distraction in my life at the moment and I know people can get really into video games, so I'd thought I would give it a try! I will have a look at the ones you suggested, thanks.

Also, I am thinking of upgrading my laptop and would choose one that had good enough graphics to play Second Life. I am in Australia and one shop suggested this laptop (it's in my price range).
    http://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers-tablets/computers/laptops/lenovo-z50-core-i5-laptop.html

Is it any good for playing games? Is it any good full-stop? The graphics are "2GB nVIDIA GeForce GT dedicated graphics", great that really helped me! lol. ;):). I never went out looking for one that you could take apart and use as a tablet, but I kinda like the idea a bit now, what do you think?

Cheers Guys :wave

4. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Please ignore this sentence "I never went out looking for one that you could take apart and use as a tablet, but I kinda like the idea a bit now, what do you think?" - written in error.rolleyes

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The specs of your laptop and the one you're considering, are good for gaming. But what games? Before you purchase or download a game, compare the minimum and recommended system requirements of the game, and compare them with your computer.

Please ignore this sentence "I never went out looking for one that you could take apart and use as a tablet, but I kinda like the idea a bit now, what do you think?" - written in error.

OK. You probably had one eye on the cricket...:-o

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

My sister likes the SIMs. I'll have to call her and find out what she likes to play now, btw she is in her 30s, so that should help out.

7. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

8. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi Theefool, thanks that would be great! I am 45. I will have a look at the SIMs, cheers J:)

9. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Thanks musksnipe, can you run the software you suggested with a computer you have yet to buy? Thanks

10. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Thanks for the website. However, unfortunately the game Second Life isn't listed.

I did a check on my current laptop and it said that the graphics card could play 4% of games released in the last year - that's good, hey ;) I can't wait to find out which ones are the 4% :-D

I am really looking for a laptop for under $1,000 au which has the best graphics. I never knew how expensive some of the 'gaming' laptops were!!

:wave

11. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

12. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hiya
    How does this one compare
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-z50-70-15-6-laptop/630220/

It only has 4GB instead of 8GB. What difference would that make to the laptop and gaming?

I think the graphics are the same? Otherwise any other differences? Is the first Lenovo Core i5 so much better?

I don't want to buy one that is 'just' good enough and then have to change it up in a year, I would rather pay more now for a better machine. I will get a comparison au website.

Have a great weekend!!

J:cool:wave

13. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

14. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hi Musk!

Thanks for your message.

Someone on Facebook is selling a tower as follows:

i5 POWERFUL GAMING RIG

Tower only. Includes:-
    Intel i5 750 CPU.
    PNY liquid cooled Nvidia GTX 580 (comparable to gtx 770).
    Antec 900W high current gamer power supply (worth $159+ alone).
    500GB HDD (120GB OCZ Vertex SSD boot drive available for $100 extra).
    Asus P7H55D-M-EVO motherboard.
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Cooler master CPU heatsink and fan.
    Silverstone gaming case.
    LG DVD read/write.
    USB 3.0 and 2.0.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed/activated.
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 installed/activated.

Is this spec any good, is it what I am after?? They are asking $550, I have offered $200. But unless it is any good it's not worth anything. Is it better or worse than the laptops you advised?

Cheers Mate :)

15. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Firstly, apologies to Mrs musksnipe ;) Happy Easter!

The more I am researching all this the more opportunities and ideas are springing out!!! lol.

My initial idea was to play Second Life. So upgrade laptop, then I saw the guy on Facebook selling a desktop and you say that desktops are better.

So as before I was undecided, now I'm not sure, doh!!! :-o:-D

So you think this guy on Facebook actually built the tower? Ooops, maybe $200 was a bit low. He said I quote: " No sorry. I've already been offered $450 and said no. I'm happy to wait for someone who will appreciate these awesome graphics." Fair dinkum :)

I would rather get something from a shop though, plus he is only selling the tower, no screen.

So now I am thinking, should I get a desktop and get one with a big screen?? Is it better playing games with a big screen and is a desktop better than a laptop for games, it is, right?

If I got a desktop what size screen would be a good / ideal size?

What about this desktop, any good? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/desktops/hp/hp-pavilion-23-a303a-all-in-one-23-desktop-pc/674092/ Are the graphics better on this than the Toshiba laptop? (Prob yes, hey)

I have decided that I can spend more, so budget less of an issue, I would just rather get the right thing.

So sorry Mrs musksnipe I may need to borrow your man for a little longer :cry for him to decide which desktop I should buy and what screen size. It looks like JB HiFi is a reasonable shop price-wise but like I say I would rather get the right kit and screen size.

Thanks buddy

J :):wave

16. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

17. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

...and for my next trick I will be setting up a link so I can share data with my old laptop. Then I will have to do the job I have been putting off for yonks, deleting all the duplicate files, mainly photos on my laptop. There is plenty advice on here. It's a must before I junk up this new computer :-o

The sound on my new toy is magic!!It has 12GB which is good!:)

A Happy Bunny at Easter!:-D

Happy Easter Eggs to You + Yours and thanks again :wave

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey

Nice PC, 1080p and an Intel i5, nVidia GPU neat, how much RAM again as I never noticed it on the spec page at the link, but your post suggests 12GB, which is a great number to have, not going to have any issues with most tasks with that CPU, GPU and RAM.

Enjoy, oh and sorry for not getting to your PM as quick as I normally would, but I left a suggestion to a duplicate finder app thats good and also allows you to view pictures to make sure they are duplicates before you delete.

Hoppy Easter

19. DavidGP

That ones neat, also not to check out is Tap Tiles, its awesome on a touch screen, play it all the time on my Surface, addictive as hell.

20. DavidGP

Yeah some neat things, that some don't see, this one great to take you direct to the built in app, sometimes I find it easier searching the online store.

Also helps more so on a Windows Phone as if you search a app online, it takes you to the built in Store as tells you if its available in your location, this is how I found out my bank has a US app but not a UK one!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds