Video Memory Has Run Out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slowmotion, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Slowmotion

Slowmotion Private E-2

I need video memory. Can I free some space by deleting or am i stuck? If I can free space, please tell me how. Thank you.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Need more info on your hardware. Are you using onboard video or an add-on card? If onboard, does your system allow you to choose among different pre-set amounts of memory to be "shared" for the onboard video adapter?

Make and model of your computer?

3. Slowmotion

Slowmotion Private E-2

Its an on board card. And a Dell Optiplex MTC2, DMC.

4. Slowmotion

Slowmotion Private E-2

Also I dont know how to find out if I can dictate the amount of memory. I'd would much rather free some by deleting though.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you have on board video, chances are you cannot increase your video memory by much. Some BIOS's allow you to allocate memory to video, but it seldom goes above 64mb, which isn't much. Some older PC's actually had sockets into which you could insert memory chips for the video, but these are few and far betweem and I've only seen it on OLD 486's and Pentium I PC's. You can't increase video memory by deleting anything. Video memory refers to actual chips, and deleting stuff just removes it from your hard drive which only increases it's capacity to store information and programs and would have no effect on video, as the two things are totally seperate and unrelated. Your best bet would be to find out if you have an AGP expansion slot, and shop for a video card accordingly. If you have no AGP slot, you'd go with a PCI video card, which (unfortunately) is almost an obsolete platform for video, and AGP is going that way also....
    If you could supply the actual model number of the PC, I could be of more help. Dell Optiplex MTC2 doesn't tell me much. Most Optiplex PC's have a GX number (like GX240) or an L number (like 160L). It should be on the front of the case somewhere. Or you could post the service tag number; it looks like 7T5MX2T or something. It's usually on a white sticker with a bar code on the back, or on a small black sticker on the side near the top (usually the left side).

6. Slowmotion

Slowmotion Private E-2

It says 170L

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

According to the specs at Dell's web site (here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op170L/en/UG/specs.htm) you only have PCI slots (and I think they're only low profile) so your video upgrade options are very limited. Optiplex PC's have always been more geared toward office and business type usage, or light home use for web surfing, and student work. They're not designed for or intended to be gaming PC's and graphical workhorses :( Like I said, you can upgrade to a PCI video card, or you can check the BIOS and see if you can turn up the video RAM. The PC can handle a total of 2gb RAM, and you can allocate up to 64mb (maybe 128mb or 256mb if you're lucky) to the video...

EDIT: This is from the Dell link I posted above...

8. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Also, to answer your other question, you can't really 'free' up your memory. RAM is only in use while the computer is on. Every time you reboot the computer, the RAM is cleared. As dlb pointed out, you may increase the allocated video memory to 64Mb if it isn't already, from the system BIOS. When the computer is booting up, it should say something like, "Press <some key> to enter setup." Just press the key that it indicates (I think it's usually F2, or Del) and you should be able to set up your video memory allocation in there.

Also, it looks like you might have 2 full size PCI slots:
    If you only have 1 expansion slot, it's only low-profile, if you have 3, you should have 2 full size PCI slots.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds