video memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by tcup, Aug 23, 2006.

1. tcup

tcup Private E-2

What is video memory? How do you get more of it?

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Video memory is memory that is built onto your video card and is used to store textures and such. Dedicated cards have their own memory while onboard gfx share system ram. You can add more to your onboard chip by changing it in the BIOS but dont add too much, i think 128 or 256 is the max for onboard

3. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Ok, are you saying that I can go into BIOS and change the video card settings from 128 to 256? I don't usually mess with BIOS, makes me nervous.

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

5. tcup

tcup Private E-2

It an NVidia, it's in my daughter's computer, she lives a little ways away from me so I don't have ready access to her computer, I work on it while I visit with her.

6. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Ok, now I have another problem. I tried to get into the BIOS on my daughter's computer but it starts (and runs) so terribly slow that I can't get into it. Any suggestions? She has windows 2000, I click on F10 or F8? Her computer needs some serious help.

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

FYI, it's NOT AGP Aperture size. That is something different. It will probably say something like onboard video RAM or shared video RAM.

Also, exactly what are you trying to do by sucking up your system RAM for your onboard video. It will not accomplish much if anything.

8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

If its a dedicated card then yes, its the aperture size. read the guide i posted:

"The reason for writing this guide is that many people still ignore the importance of AAS or set it incorrectly. Generally measured in megabytes (MB), AAS is the amount of system memory (RAM) shared with an AGP graphics card in order for it to have more memory to process textures and other visual data."

AAS=AGP Aperture Size

9. tcup

tcup Private E-2

ooookkk, I see what you are saying. I tried to read the page you sent me, right over my head. what you explained makes sense. Thanks. Now, if I can get into the BIOS I'll know what to do. Since I'm having trouble with the computer, could I use a disk I made to open in MS DOS?

10. tcup

tcup Private E-2

What do you mean "dedicated"?

11. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I mean a sepatare card that is put into an AGP (or PCI or PCI express) slot with its own dedicated memory. Onboard chips are built into the motherboard and share memory with the RAM. If your daughter is plugging her monitor directly into her motherboard (the vertical ports on the back of the computer) then its onboard. If its plugged into a port on the back that is horizontal and lower than the vertical ports then its a separate video card. You can also open up the computer if you wanna check.

here are some pics:

onboard:
    [​IMG]
    dedicated:
    [​IMG]

12. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Ok, I understand that part. She installed the NVidia card, should the original card, the one that came with the computer, been uninstalled?

13. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

was it also a dedicated card? if it was onboard it should have automatically disabled itself

14. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Hm, ok, yes it was a dedicated card. I think she took it out. I think we'll have to take it to someone who can look at it. I've read that Win 2000 was essentially made for office work, and that it was not meant to run video games on. If this is true, could we upgrade to XP home, would the computer run faster? Would video games play better?

15. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I dont know about a performance boost but id upgrade to XP anyways, its a much better OS. To run XP reasonably well, id make sure you have no less than 512mb of RAM. 1 gig would be preferable tho.

16. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. I have XP on my computers and it is the best, no Blue Screen of Death. I'll go to microsoft.com and I think they have a test to determine if XP is compatable with her computer, if not the CD will test it. Now all I have to do is figure out why her computer runs so awfully slow. Sometimes I long for the "old days", no computers to complicate our lives. I'm a granny, by the way, I knew life without computers and video games. lol

17. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

To speed things up a little, if she has less than 512 RAM, buy some more. (if you need info on buying RAM, just ask) Defragment the hard drive, run CCleaner (aka CrapCleaner) as well as Ad-Aware SE. Those are both great programs that i consider a "must-have" to keep your computer clean and zippy

18. tcup

tcup Private E-2

We've done all that, we've added another memory card, and cleaned out everything. the computer takes forever to boot, sign on to the internet and game play is slow motion. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

19. renegadeone8

renegadeone8 Private E-2

Check the BIOS to see if there is a setting known as "compatibility mode"....i dont honestly know what it does, but i know if you run in compatibility mode, that your computer will run hella slow....it will crawl along like a 486 and that isnt a joke....report back on that and i may have some other ideas.

20. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Her computer runs so slow that I can't get into BIOS. I'll start it up and tap F8 or F10 and nothing happens. It takes forever to boot, my finger gets tired.

21. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Try holding Delete when it boots

22. tcup

tcup Private E-2

I am at my daughter's computer right now, I can't get into the BIOS, I can't upgrade her from Win 2000 to Win XP, I think that the Win version she has is licensed. What do you do if the computer is so slow that you can't open BIOS? Is there a way I could chat with someone about this?

23. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

What brand is it? Check out the manufacturer's website and look under the support section to see if you can chat with someone. Or, you can just start a new thread here. Chances are us geeks could get u sorted out lol

24. tcup

tcup Private E-2

Well, thanks for your help, but I've caved, I'm taking the computer to a pro. I've managed to screw it up and I can't spend anymore brain cells on it, I have so few left.:eek:
    I appreciate all the advice, you guys are great.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds