Video players' video playback failing after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Software' started by aetherness, Jan 16, 2015.

1. aetherness

aetherness Private E-2

Hi guys, so very recently (a couple of months ago) I built a custom desktop intended for gaming, and every game works great on max settings, youtube and online players work fine. However, when I play either Windows Media Player, or VLC player, strange things start happening. For both players, after a few minutes into the video, the video playback disappears and the player becomes unresponsive (can't access menus, can't fullscreen), however, the sound still plays fine. Though sometimes I can open the player menus, but they're blacked out, furthermore, the desktop taskbar starts glitching (chrome or VLC icon superimposes itself on the windows/start logo), re-positioning the taskbar fixes this. Basically, the WMP and VLC players' video playback glitches out a few minutes into the video, but sound is fine. Can't figure this out for the life of me. I've re-installed both players, re-installed the video driver, downloaded Shark007 codecs, disabled anti-virus, nothing works. Here's some of my specs from Belarc;

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
    Installed: 12/10/2014 11:56:32 AM
    Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported)

4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2 Rev 1.xx
    Serial Number: 140626901503703
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1008 05/29/2014

Crucial_CT512MX100SSD1 [Hard drive] (512.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 14390D53DA08, rev MU01, SMART Status: Healthy
    Intel Raid 0 Volume SCSI Disk Device (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Fast Data, SMART Status: Healthy

8134 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM_A1' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM_A2' has 4096 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_B1' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM_B2' has 4096 MB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 [Display adapter]
    TOSHIBA-TV [Monitor] (24.0"vis, November 2010)

High Definition Audio Device
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

ESET Smart Security Version 8.0.304.0

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What I would do to start with is to re-download the latest Chipset driver and install and reboot, then install the latest Nvidia driver for your card and reboot.

Then look in device manager for any yellow ! marks and if you have any let us know what?
    Also while you mention ESET Smart Security, nice app BTW, what other security software do you have installed?

As you mention Shark Codecs, do you have any other codec packs installed if so uninstall all including Shark and run CCleaner and then reboot and just install Shark, but aslo make sure you have latest Adobe Flash/Shockwave installed.

I would also try Safe Mode and Safe mode with networking and see if you have same playback issues.
    Could use the below to give us an idea of your start-up apps

3. aetherness

aetherness Private E-2

Well, just reinstalled the chipset and Nvidia drivers, that didn't help.
    However, there are no yellow marks in device manager.
    ESET is the only security app I have currently.
    Uninstalled Shark, ran Ccleaner, with the latest updates installed.

However, when I tried both Safe Mode and with networking, the video playback was completely fine, not really sure what to make of it. Something might be interfering normally?

Attached is startup log.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. aetherness

aetherness Private E-2

Since I don't have much in the way of files on C:\ I could always just do a clean install and see if that fixes it, provided we can't figure it out of course.

5. DavidGP

Hi

I would in your start-up list uninstall DAEMON Tools Lite and after a reboot see how you go with video

6. aetherness

aetherness Private E-2

Removing DAEMON tools didn't affect the video in any way.

7. DavidGP

Hi

Try this to see if we can narrow the cause down and its long winded, but worth trying, open msconfig and startup tab and disable everything and reboot and test, if ok then continue and enable one item at a time and reboot and test, as soon as you get poor playback let us know the app you had just enabled as thats likely the cause.

But what I would do looking more closely at your startup list is to do the following, its my personal preference with startups as I delete loads of the no needed ones, but up to you.

CCleaner Monitoring - disable/delete (can stop this in CCLeaners options menu)
    DAEMON Tools Lite - Disable to test but if you use this app alot then leave as a startup
    BCSSync - I tend to disable/delete
    DivXMediaServer - disable/delete
    DivXUpdate - disable/delete
    egui ESET - Leave as startup
    IAStorIcon - disable/delete (run this when needed but hardly needed)
    NvBackend - disable/delete
    RealDownloader - disable/delete
    RoccatIsku -
    RTHDVCPL - disable/delete
    ShadowPlay - disable/delete *upto you on this one to keep*
    SunJavaUpdateSched - delete, but if you update java you will need to delete again
    TkBellExe - disable/delete
    USB3MON - disable/delete
    RealPlayer Cloud Service UI.lnk - disable/delete

Upto you what you do but where I have put disable delete, I tend to delete, plus may need to delete from startup again if an app updates so worth monitoring startups each month to see whats in the list.

If you want to manage them do not use msconfig but an app like StartupCPL portable

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds