Video? Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by whatyeah3, Jul 25, 2006.

1. whatyeah3

whatyeah3 Private E-2

I have a problem with video that doesn't seem to be covered. Whenever I try to access any folder I have that contains any video files (AVI, MPEG4, etc.) Explorer encounters an error, and then crashes, restarting explorer, but not causing a complete lock up. I have scanned for viruses with AVG Free, as well as scanned for spyware with multiple programs. I am able to access the video, but only if the file is loaded on a playlist. Using Windows Media Player to open the files causes the same problem. Any Clues?

Windows XP Home Edition
    NVidia G-Force 5500 Video Card
    200GB Hard Drive
    128 MB Ram

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

What version of Windows Media Player are your using to knows start windows
    media player and click help then about.....

3. whatyeah3

whatyeah3 Private E-2

Windows Media Player 10.00.00.4036

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try:

Click start, then run, then type in:

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll (press enter)

Out of curiosity, have you installed any codec packs recently (divx, beta codecs)? Or any image viewers? Photoshop?

5. whatyeah3

whatyeah3 Private E-2

That solved it! Could you possible explain what it was that it did though?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds