Video reverts back to 8bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinXP Pro SP3 - every time this PC is restarted, the video settings revert back to 8bit. I have un-installed and re-installed the video drivers several times (Nvidia 7600GS). I have set it manually to 32bit, and after restarting, the desktop loads and it stays at 32bit for maybe 5 seconds then reverts back to 8bit. The PC had a custom "skin" installed which vanished after installing the video drivers (it was 8bit color with the custom "skin" also). The PC has several programs like "TuneUp Utilities" and "Advanced System Care Pro" installed, and I have a feeling that one of these programs is at least partly responsible for the 8bit color fiasco. The "TuneUp Utils" was an expired trial so I removed it, but the "Adv System Care Pro" is a paid version and the client specifically mentioned that it was not to be removed or messed with (I already turned it off just to see if it made a difference- it didn't). So - how do I get this freekin' thing to stay on 32bit color?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you go to the Monitor tab in display settings, is it listed as default monitor? Maybe there is a XP driver for the monitor being used. Does lowering the refresh rate help?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yes, it's listed as "default monitor" in device mgr also. I uninstalled, rebooted, and let it re-install and still the same thing. The monitor is an LCD so the refresh is at 60hz (it's not a high-end LCD :-o ). I hooked up the PC to 2 different monitors (one other LCD and a CRT) and get the same result: it stays at 32bit for about 5-10sec, then the screen goes black and comes back at 8bit. I find it odd that the client didn't mention this problem to me; he probably thought the odd color scheme was how his custom "skin" was supposed to look. LOL He brought me the PC originally because the auto update to the new version of MBAM that came out a day or two ago went haywire on him and I had to repair the MBAM, but he didn't mention the video problem. Weird.

4. tgell

Some people have reported that the latest driver is buggy. They installed v275.33 and their problems stopped. You set the color depth using the Nvidia Control Panel, correct? I am wondering if you set the card back to the defaults if it would help.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Edit: I am not sure if this would work but in the Nvidia Control Panel under Adjust Color Setting, there should be a setting that either lets applications or Nvidia control color settings.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... the latest Nvidia driver (non-Beta) is v285.58 for XP from late Oct 2011. Seems odd that a buggy driver would be around for 2+ months . . . Nvidia is pretty good about fixing driver issues. Anyway, the PC originally was running driver v275.33 and had the 8bit issue with it also. I removed it and installed v285.58, then removed that and installed 280.26 and no changes. I then used Revo to remove all traces.... just a weird thing, no?

6. tgell

Definitely weird. It's almost like something in memory is causing the reversal. I wonder if unchecking everything in msconfig and then starting each item would do anything.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Perhaps the card is on the way out? No matter what monitor you hook up to it, the problem resurfaces and different drivers don't seem to fix the issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds