Video/Sound Card Help/Suggestion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Koot, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Koot

Koot Private E-2

When I use 16 bit color my LG W2453V 24" monitor (set at 1920x1080) seems to react fine when on the Internet loading web pages. However, when I use 32 bit color some web pages react strangely - loading gradually in sheets like you're pulling a shade down. Also, when I scroll most web pages (using 32 bit color) the display is slower to react compared to when I use 16 bit color.

I'm using a VGA cable between my Radeon 8500DV card and the LG W2453V monitor. That may be slowing things down enough to produce the unwanted strange effects I get with a setting of 32 bit color. Dunno. I'm not sure if using a DVI cable would make any (or much) difference.

The Radeon 8500DV card was "the" thing back 7-8 years ago. But, I realize what's great today is outdated tomorrow. However, the card was capable of doing all sorts of things, including TV.

Is my reason that I cannot get good results when on the Internet when using 32 bit color with a 24" monitor at 1920x1080 the small (comparatively speaking) card memory (64MB DDR)? Or is it some other reason? I've noticed that nowadays the memory for most graphic cards are much greater than 64MB.

I think I probably need to upgrade to a better video and sound card...and use a DVI cable. However, to get the results I need I'm guessing the new card must be put in a PCI slot instead the AGP slot, which is what I'm using now with the Radeon 8500DV.

Do you suggest getting a new card? If so, do you suggest getting a video/sound card that fits in a PCI slot? I'd like to use an ATI video/sound card if anybody can suggest a good one.

How much memory do you suggest I need (if lack of memory is the reason I can't use 32 bit color very well with a 24" monitor set at 1920x1080 when using the Internet)? I do not plan on using TV or gaming. I mainly use my PC/monitor for Internet, Office stuff and photos, including some photo editing in Photoshop.

Do all cards have both video and sound? The Radeon 8500DV card is where I get my video and sound, so if I replace it I must have a card that provide both.

As you can tell I know just enough about this topic to be dangerous! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I believe web pages should load faster than that BUT I'm not sure as I only had a 17inch 10X7 monitor 8 years ago,the resolution your using now has 2.5 times more pixels to process than 10X7.

Do you have the latest driver installed or have you just installed it as the default VGA device?Not installing the driver can have that effect.

No video cards provide video and sound cards provide sound I haven't seen a combined card but it doesn't matter really as both seperately are only a few bucks,and no the VGA cable is fine,64mb is also fine for web pages.

You would have to buy another AGP card I'm afraid,the newer video cards are PCI-Express which has a totally different socket than the old PCI,you'd have to upgrade your motherboard to install one of the latest video cards but there are a plethora of AGP cards that will improve your video performance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds