Video streaming to TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bism, Jun 22, 2011.

1. bism

bism Private E-2

Hi guys!
    In need of a bit of help here, basically what I want to do is be able to play all the films and such that I have on my computer (upstairs) to my TV in the living room (downstairs). I know there are a load of things that will do this but I need advice on the best one for me. I'd like to use something like the western digital tv things, but I need to have a wireless connection as it is a rented house and they wont let me run a cable downstairs! any input is much appreciated :) thaaaaanks!:)

2. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Orb makes a TV receiver over wifi http://www.orb.com/en/orb-tv/features.html
    You can also use your network enabled gaming console or blueray player with Orb's service. Orb's connection to the net is free whether you go with the OrbTV or via game console. I use it on my Wii, but the quality isn't all that great and would be better on a better gaming system.

Slingbox makes a TV viewing unit. I don't own it so can't say how much it costs or if there's a monthly fee. http://www.slingbox.com/

4. bism

bism Private E-2

yeah, i did look at that thread but its not really what i'm after, i dont need to record or surf or anything. i think i might have found a solution, im going to use a wireless dongle plugged into the wdtv live. hopefully that will work but if not i'll be back lol.

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

If you can get your TV onto the net then you can use Orbcaster to connect to your computer and stream the web (and even watch other online content). The service is free and it's a free download.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds