Video thumbnail causes explorer to close

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ronald_Young_At_RCAT, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

Hi,

I've got a video file that causes Windows explorer to close (with the send error report message). I think the thumbnail causes it for some reason. Just going into folders to change from 'thumbnail view to 'list view or to delete the offending file is a work of art (explorer usually closes before you can do it) but the video is also unplayable - media players won't touch it.

I've been forced to delete the video file, but is there anyway to actually use such files?

Hope someone can shed some light on a problem that has affected me a few times previously (and most likely will again).

Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had the same thing happen a few months ago; simply browsing to and opening the folder with the video file would cause Explorer to error out as you described, or Windows would just lock up and I'd have to use the task manager to restore functionality. I think it was an issue with the media players and/or codecs. I had 3 different media players installed in addition to Windows Media Player (plus there was maybe 4 or 5 others I had uninstalled) and I think that's where the conflict came from....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds