Videos make my computer lock up

Discussion in 'Software' started by flamingice17, Sep 23, 2006.

1. flamingice17

flamingice17 Private E-2

For some reason, whenever I attempt to play a video file (both via the internet and DVD), my computer locks up and I have to restart it. I have new video drivers, and all of the latest XP patches and player software. Before I reformatted my computer, the video worked fine.

I've tried downloading codec packs and DiVX players with no successful results.

I'm running: Windows XP Home, with an ASUS motherboard. Nvidia fx 6600 (direct x 9 c), 1 GB DDR pc3200, 120 GB Hardrive.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Are we talking about just 1 file or many?

3. flamingice17

flamingice17 Private E-2

every video file, all types and sizes, weather is on my computer or on the internet or on a cd/dvd, it wont play

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

try installing this codec pack: here make sure to move any other codecs you have before installing this. the installer should point out which codecs you all ready have anyways.

and is it possible that you installed the wrong graphic card drivers when you reformmated your computer? would be helpful if you posted that info too.

5. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Probably not a codec issue. The graphics drivers are more likely to be the cause. Try installing an older version, preferably the ones shipped on the installation CD (you can update them later, after we exclude this as the cause).

6. flamingice17

flamingice17 Private E-2

Thanks THisIsU, that codec pack worked for some reason, i had other codecs and it wasnt working, now with this pack, they all worked , thank you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds