Videos will not play. Black screen, audio only.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Floggin, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Floggin

Floggin Private E-2

I have some movies saved on my external HDD and I can play them on my old laptop. I got a newish laptop from a friend and it has Windows XP on it as well. I updated programs and such so everythin is up to date. I tried to watch a movie and it just plays with a black screen, with just the audio. I downloaded cccp, and xvid. Both did not work. I also downloaded and tried to play with VIC it didn't work either. I had the same codec issue on my old laptop as well and all I did to solve that was get xvid. What is the issue?

2. markj

markj Private E-2

You can analyze video file with MediaInfo. This program will tell you how this file is encoded, and then you will know what video codec is needed.

You can also try playing file with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is similar to VLC in that it does not require separate installation of codecs. It is advisable to use a latest build of MPC-HC, available on this site.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Floggin

Floggin Private E-2

I installed the codec pack, still does not work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds