View Photos From External Hard Drive To Kindle Fire Hd, How Please.

Discussion in 'Software' started by campbell, Nov 29, 2015.

1. campbell

campbell Private E-2

Hi, my name is Campbell and I would like to view photos from my external hard drive on my Kindle fire HD but not to download them. Amazon don't support this and I wonder if anyone can help.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does the Fire have a micro sd slot? Does the Fire support OTG?

If you don't know, please state the exact model device you have to I can try and find the specs.

3. campbell

campbell Private E-2

Hi plodr, thanks for your email.
    The model is 2012 kindle fire hd 7" 2nd generation, it has a micro hdmi connection and connection with a lead for connecting to PC.
    I spoke with Amazon and they suggested that I purchase a USB OTG accessory which I have ordered so I assume that it must support OTG.
    Hope you can help.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's a tablet, so it's not going to provide a lot of power through the USB port. A USB powered HDD won't work well, if at all. Flash drives and powered HDDs will. However the Kindle does not read NTFS so any drive you use will need to be formatted FAT32.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I bought a few OTG cables very cheap from monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9724
    I attached the cable to the micro USB port on the tablet then connected the normal USB connector to a powered USB hub. You can then attach things like a mouse, keyboard, and most importantly your external hard drive. I've attached 500GB and 1TB hard drives to my tablet and these were seen by my Android tablet with no problem. So mine, at least, will see external hard drives not formatted as FAT32. I don't own a Kindle so no experience with what is seen and not seen.
    You should then be able to go to settings, find the external hard drive and view the files on the external hard drive on your tablet.

A second option would be to copy the images from the external hard drive to a USB stick. Then you could attach the USB stick to the powered USB hub and view the pictures on the stick.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds