Vipre?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kay Three, May 8, 2011.

1. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

At the suggestion of the local compudoc we have begun switching the 5 systems in our network to Vipre antivirus protection. When the Norton subscription was up on one system a month or so ago, we switched that one. Everything seems to be going well. When asked about any noticeable differences she claimed to be noticing nothing different. The Norton subscription on my system ran out this past Thursday. That afternoon a balloon popped up saying something about Norton was off. Wow! There was an immediate change in my system. This is the first time I have ever let my antivirus subscription run out. After that balloon popped up my system began acting up. It's like it was virgin all over again. It was blazing along as fast as it did fresh out of the box. By Friday noon I had Vipre installed and running and my system is still speeding along nicely. All these years I never considered my system slow. In fact out of the 5, mine is one of the fastest. I never knew it could be this fast. The only change was the turn off of Norton. Is it possible that Norton slowed my system? Admittedly, after the change is not the best time to ask for advice about Vipre, but I would be pleased to hear any comments about Vipre any may wish to offer. Thanks, K.

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

I'm moving this to the Software Forum since it is not a malware problem and you can get more feedback from others that way.

Yes. It has long been considered to be a problem in this regards. Supposedly the newer versions are better, but I stop using them a very long time ago and seriously doubt that there all in one suites have really improved the performance issues.

I have no experience with it. Not sure where it stands in the current round of effectiveness nor in performance.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I've never used Vipre, but I've been happy and infection-free with Comodo Internet Security for years (it's an AV and firewall, or Comodo has the separate AV or firewall as standalone applications as well). I don't install the GeekBuddy portion, and disable the Sandbox feature. Comodo's VERY light on system resources (i.e. lets your computer stay fast) as well.

4. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Thanks chaslang and mcsmc for considering and responding to my post and especially for moving it. Thanks, K.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was a beta tester for SunBelt software for several years running CounterSpy then later VIPRE on two different computers and versions of Windows. I was always impressed with the support offered both to beta testers and buyers of the software. In fact, I still subscribe to the SunBelt Security newsletter. I don't think you will be disappointed with VIPRE.

http://www.sunbeltsecuritynews.com/Archives/
    they always mention the top 10 malware.

6. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Wow! Thanks plodr. This is definitely a red letter day. A decision of mine might actually work out to the good for once. You touched on a subject I have always felt strongly about - support. Over the years we have experienced outstanding products and software only to be disappointed when support was anemic. Great software is only great when it works. When support can not make it work, it makes little difference how great it was. Appreciate the input. K.

7. KrushR

KrushR Private E-2

I use it on several networks, and love the speed. I've used it for about three years now. I did, however, just watch the "Windows XP Recovery" go right around it (with a user's help, of course ;) ) and now we have ZLob/Vundo/FakeAlert on the machine. :(

That said, Vipre is still a fine scanner, and an incredible value.

8. Kay Three

Kay Three Private E-2

Thanks KrushR. Always enjoy hearing positive reinforcement. And yes, we experienced a couple go arounds thru all the years with Norton. Apparently no protection is perfect, so all that is left is to pick the most Friendly. Thanks for your input. K.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds