VirtualBox Ubuntu 12.04 CD Autorun Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Space_Rocks, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Hey fellow geeks,

Got a problem with Ubuntu 12.04 on virtualbox 4.2.16, first I'll say what settings I've used:

1024MB base memory (RAM)
    Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk (Boot Order)
    VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX (Acceleration)

12MB (Video Memory)
    Disabled (Remote Desktop Server)

IDE > Primary Master - [CD/DVD] ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
    Secondary Master - [CD/DVD] Host Drive 'E:'
    SATA > Port 0 - Ubuntu VHD.vdi (8GB)

Windows DirectSound (Host Driver)
    ICH AC97 (Controller)

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) (Adapter 1 for Network)

0 USB Device Filters

No Shared Folders

Problem:
    I'm trying to install "Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna" (yea, the 2003 game :p ). Its a special edition that includes the original Dungeon Siege as well as the add-on in one pack (but still 3 CD's). However when I put the CD in, it doesn't auto-run so I have to click it to access the folder. I right click the setup.exe and choose to open it with the "Autorun Prompt" but it says "Cannot find the autorun program".

There isn't much help online to get around this problem either so anyone who knows Ubuntu (I'm an ubuntu noob >.< ), any help would be much appreciated :)

2. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

If I understand your post correctly, you are trying to run Windows software (setup.exe) on a Linux virtual machine (Ubuntu 12.04). Generally speaking, this isn't going to happen without emulation software and some luck.

SOME windows programs will run in Wine if it is installed on Linux; it can be installed from the Software Center. Unfortunately, Dungeon Siege does not appear to be one of those windows programs, as users have had mixed results getting it to run on various versions of Ubuntu.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17863

Inasmuch as I don't mess with Wine, I won't be of much help. What I DO know of Wine is that successful installers post their "recipe" of ingredients (Wine components, etc...) to make it work. Inasmuch as you have Ubuntu installed in an easily restored virtual machine, you might want to give it a go?!

However, if you're an Ubuntu "noob", I presume you're running Ubuntu VM on a windows machine (a smart move, by the way!). But the glaring question is "why are you trying to run a windows program on a linux machine, presumably on a windows machine? Why not run it on the windows machine directly, as intended?"

Alternatively, if you must, you can install Windows in VirtualBox as a VM and your game should run just fine, as it was intended. :)

3. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Thanks for your reply and a very happy new year to you and everyone else :)

Yes, you got it all right. As to why; I have windows 8 on my Lenovo Z585 laptop and this game doesn't run properly on windows 8, it must be windows XP ideally.

I have previously tried installing and running with various methods:
    Run installer then run game in XP compatibility mode,
    Run installer in XP compatibility mode and game also,
    Run only installer in compatibility mode etc.

But none of these worked, the game tried to start up but then an error message every time :/

Have tried installing XP (on VirtualBox) but don't have a serial key so the 30-day trial ran out before I could install this game (I previously did this to get sims 2 to work on my laptop for my girlfriend). Any idea how to get around this or must I buy one?

4. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

edit: I tried it one more time as installer and game in XP (SP 3) compatibility mode and no error comes up. The game appears in the task manager but nothing happens, its just running and taking up 0% processor, the add-on (Legends of Aranna) however makes the screen 600x400 (I assume) but it's still at the desktop, the game itself doesn't run.

5. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Been looking though the link you posted and decided I'm going to try and make an Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) virtual OS in VirtualBox, apparently it instals and runs the game with a gold rating. I'll post the details if it works or not later :)

Fingers crossed!

6. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I have ideas, but I don't want to violate the MG Terms of Service (TOS), so let me discuss what I would do in a LEGITIMATE way.

You obviously have a WinXP installation disk, which I assume is from an older machine (perhaps a dead soldier?) laying around the house somewhere. If that is the case, you DO have a Windows license, found on the COA of that machine. Move the license from the 'dead soldier' to your VM and your single-copy of WinXP lives on, as per terms of that agreement, as long as the 'dead soldier' you moved it from remains 'dead'; perhaps resurrent it with a flavor of linux that interests you...anything but WinXP...as that machine will no longer be licensed for that.

If that is not the case, perhaps you will consider buying a 'dead soldier' or a very old, slow, & decrepit machine from E-bay (or a similar place), for precisely the reason discussed above. Until you can make that happen, save a snapshot of your freshly installed WinXP VM, taken immediately after install. That way, if needed, you can restore the snapshot to make the VM usable until you can obtain a valid WinXP license. This advice was obtained from Microsoft, where I downloaded a pre-built Win8 virtual appliance; this was Microsoft's suggestion on how to extend the VM before purchasing a license. If I could find that link, I'd provide it.

But while looking for that link, I found this, which may be the best solution of all for you...a link to Microsoft website to download and run XP VM from within Win8. I'd try this FIRST:

http://lifehacker.com/5965889/how-to-run-windows-xp-for-free-in-windows-8

7. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

WOW that link did the job almost perfectly :)
    Before I go any further though I should say that you are again right in that I have a "Dead PC" with XP on it, so technically I'm still legitimate as I am not using the PC anymore as too many things on it are physically too damaged and it isn't worth the money to fix it.

As for the re-vamped XP, it works very well, however I tried running the DSVideoConfig (program used before playing to determine graphics settings) but nothing can be entered from the drop-down boxes as they are all blank and and it crashed when I click the 4th and final box... I then try to run the game but get: "Fatal Error: Unable to enumerate any DirectDraw devices installed on this system".

I went to the Device Manager and see the "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" has an orange triangle with a "!" in it. I try to install the drivers but nothing happens, it starts but then searches indefinitely. I can only assume this is my problem as the video controller deals with DirectDraw (unless I'm mistaken).

Any ideas? Would like to say that you have been a massive help and really appreciate your input, many thanks :)

8. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I'm not clear on which option you chose to pursue. If you installed WinXP in a VirtualBox VM, your driver issue is because you also have to install VirtualBox Guest Additions for windows. THAT is the video driver you need for VirtualBox VM.

If you chose the Microsoft Download for XP mode, I'm not sure what to suggest, as I'm not a windows user.

9. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

Aha! I chose the first option. I'll install the guest additions now and see what happens :p

edit: okay, I installed them and I now have a "Display Adapter - VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" and no more yellow ! triangles, however I still get the same "Fatal Error" response and still the same problem with the "DSVideoConfig". Do I need to install extra guest adapters manually, or do I need to set the default devices somewhere?

10. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Well now you've got me stumped. I'm not a gamer; I'm not familiar with DSVideoConfig; and I'm not sure what it does or why it's needed.

A Fatal Error is usually a missing or corrupt file in an installation. All I could find with Google search was this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1828114.html

While they solved their issue, I note their OS was Win7 and this is a "Steam" game forum. I think I would make sure WinXP VM is up to date with all Service Packs, patches, etc...to make sure nothing is "missing". If this doesn't solve it, THEN I would reinstall DSVideo to make sure nothing was corrupted. If this doesn't solve it, I would try the linked solution above. That's all I've got though...http://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

11. Space_Rocks

Space_Rocks Private E-2

DSVideoConfig is just a program that is in the folder after installation. You are supposed to run it before playing to make sure it uses the right video card, best resolution, shadows and filtering, not much but it showed me in more depth my problem.

As for the link, it looks great but I am installing this game from a CD not through steam. I might consider using steam to at least get the original then maybe I can get the add-on to work somehow. Not too expensve so maybe this is worth a shot. I'll try and re-instal it though and maybe tinker more first though but I'll post my results, even if it is to just buy it on steam :p

Thanks for all your help though, really much appreciated :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds