virus affected cd/dvd drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jafields, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jafields

jafields Private E-2

I have a Dell desktop that runs Windows XP.. Last year, due to a battery back-up failure, it was infected with a virus. A local shop got it up and running again, however many programs on the startup menu are mysteriously "empty". Not the biggest problem--last week a lightning stike hit the phone line and fried (I think) the ethernet port. Bought a USB ethernet adapter--PROBLEM--I need to run the installation CD. I can open the draw and insert the CD, but then-nothing. I think the old virus wiped out the cd drive, or at least the computer can't find it! It's not listed on the device manager at all. Help! It's an old computer, but would like to get it back online if possible!

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

One thought for getting the driver would be to go to the USB doggle manufacturer's website and see if they have the XP driver available for download. Most manufacturer's have downloads available in case the CD doesn't work or gets lost.

As for the CDROM, if it doesn't show in Device Manager then the next step would be to see if it shows in BIOS. That would be F2 during the Dell screen to enter BIOS. The system summary should probably list the CDROM. But if you give the model of the desktop, I might be able to find BIOS screens that would verify the location as to whether or not BIOS recognizes the drive. If BIOS doesn't recognize it, then either it is hooked up wrong or is dead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds