Virus Scan in Safe Mode will not run & PSAPI.DLL Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by winterlady1957, Mar 16, 2007.

1. winterlady1957

winterlady1957 Private E-2

I am trying to help a friend figure out what is wrong with his computer, I am by no means computer saavy, just trying to help and hoping someone will respond with the answers we need.
    First at start up he is getting the following error: "Procedure entry point get process image file name could not be located in the dynamic library PSAPI.DLL"; he's been given many ideas from others at to what's wrong, some said it has something to do with a Smart Bridge for Verizon but he doesn't have Verizon he has SBC DSL or that it's caused from Internet Explorer 7 Beta's (I'm not sure if he installed a Beta Version or not, will have to ask him), they said he just had to get rid of IE 7 Beta to fix the problem, just use a different browser such as Firefox. I have both IE 7 and Firefox on my system and I know from my own experiences that not all web sites work with Firefox even with my Agent Switcher add-on it doesn't work so I need to use IE on those sites so he really doesn't want to get rid of IE unless there is no other solution.:( We are just so confused and lost as to what to do!
    I am wondering, if he does have a Beta Version, can he just uninstall it and download the regular IE 7, will that fix the PSAPI.DLL error????
    Secondly, and most importantly I think, he can not run a DOS Virus Scan in Safe Mode, gets some kind of "path not found" error, he has McAfee Security software and when he spoke to them they told him it's probably due to a virus but in order for them to help him he needs to know what particular virus it is so they can send him a link to a specific removal tool, he was told to just run the regular virus scan and reply with what virus he has. But when he runs the virus scan it finds no viruses, etc.???? confused How can he find out what virus he has if any???? I am hoping someone can help us with these problems!
    NEED HELP SOON!!

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

If he might have a virus, the best thing to do is to go to this page http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 and follow all the instructions and see shows up. Then if there are signs of infection, ask for help in the malware forum and see if that resolves all the problems.

3. winterlady1957

winterlady1957 Private E-2

Chookers, Thanks so much for your reply but we have found the viruses in his system the regular McAfee VirusScan didn't pick up. We had another response earlier that suggested we try to install the Stinger, another McAfee virus removal tool, but it did the job, found and removed 3 viruses!! Along with the help for the .dll error he was getting we have fixed that problem also by renaming those as suggested, Now all is good!! : ) :celebrate
    Thanks again for your response!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds